Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol's field of application, out of memory, PBC in unlimited case, 3d compression test

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I need to simulate in 3d compression test of periodic nano structure..
extra coarse meshing gives 5000 elements only for one unit cell..
I need approximatly 1000*1000*1000 unit cells wich gives us 5*10^12 elements!!!!!!
I can't even set the geometry-comsol gives out of memory error..

another way I tried was applying periodic boundary condition for one unit cell BUT the problem is that my sample isn't unlimited thus I have losses in poissons expand of whole sample at the edges..

maybe anyone know how to solve my problem?

or otherwise maybe you can suggest another FEM program for solving 5*10^12 elements..

Thanks in advance,
Alex

0 Replies Last Post May 26, 2010, 8:01 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Zinchenko

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.