Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

I am not getting the strucural/fluid coupled model solved...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey There,

I am new in simulating, but I tried alot in the last weeks.
I want to simulate the fluid flow through deforming porous Material under deformation.
I started to look at the examples and i simulated the single models for NS-flow through an S-bar or bended an iron bar.
The single handling with the models is working.
Now i try to start over with a simple model of coupling both models into an fluid flow with mechanical loading in 2D.

The three models i need for that are (as far as i understood...):

- plain strain
- moving mesh
- navier stokes

but if i try to solve the model, i never get an errorfree solving, what ever i try and change.
The only example that i have access to with the same models is the perestaltic pump, and if i reset the model and re-solve it, its not working at all with my comsol.
i don`t know what i can do else... I read the manuals but I don`t get any information that it useful enough to solve my problems with my model.
Maybe its only a total easy mistake i made...
i`ll hang on the modelfile, maybe someone can look over it.
Its just a fixed bar at bottom, a on the left and right side fixed bar at top and inbetween an fluid, that should flow from left to right through the space in between. And after deforming the bar on top the flow of the fluid should change.

It would also be good to know: what kind of Modelpackage do I need to simulate something like this???
Is it required to have MEMS, or should it also work without?

i hope some one can help.
thanks,

Alex

4 Replies Last Post Jun 29, 2010, 7:09 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2010, 11:46 a.m. EDT
You can start by enabling weak terms on N-S. For FSI it is a default. Also, for your plot you would want probably to draw ALE layer, and set boundary to 1 (so you can see the borders) and disable deformation plot.
You can start by enabling weak terms on N-S. For FSI it is a default. Also, for your plot you would want probably to draw ALE layer, and set boundary to 1 (so you can see the borders) and disable deformation plot.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2010, 3:11 a.m. EDT
Hey Danial,

thank you!!!! Without the deforming shape in the plotting box its working properly... but why i did not understand so far?!
the hint with the boundary settings was very useful, thats another thing i did not know, jet.
i`ll get back here and post my modeldetails, i guess its useful for others, too!
thanks!

Alex
Hey Danial, thank you!!!! Without the deforming shape in the plotting box its working properly... but why i did not understand so far?! the hint with the boundary settings was very useful, thats another thing i did not know, jet. i`ll get back here and post my modeldetails, i guess its useful for others, too! thanks! Alex

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 29, 2010, 6:14 a.m. EDT
(moved to separate post)
(moved to separate post)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 29, 2010, 7:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

I've got a problem with- working on brinkman's model, modelling stokes flow past a porous sphere. I've got no clue where I'm wrong- everything seems to be set properly (inc solving settings), but there is no convergence. I would be really grateful for help.
Attaching 3.5 comsol file
Hi I've got a problem with- working on brinkman's model, modelling stokes flow past a porous sphere. I've got no clue where I'm wrong- everything seems to be set properly (inc solving settings), but there is no convergence. I would be really grateful for help. Attaching 3.5 comsol file

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.