Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Information on solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there

i have a question , what if i run a simulation and get the results and then i go back to sub domaine setting and made some changes and run the simulation again. will the previous results effact the current simulation..
Thanks
Yasir

3 Replies Last Post May 31, 2010, 6:48 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2010, 3:52 a.m. EDT
Go to solver manager and first store the solution that you want to retain. Then also select the option of using stored values for variables not solved for.

Without above, you cannot retain previous solutions.
Go to solver manager and first store the solution that you want to retain. Then also select the option of using stored values for variables not solved for. Without above, you cannot retain previous solutions.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2010, 5:58 a.m. EDT
Oh, I think got your question wrong there!

So may be to your actual question, I don't think your present solution will affect the result of next simulation. Not to a significant extent at least. At best, it might help converge the new simulation faster in certain circumstances provided you have selected relevant options in solver manager too to enable that.
Oh, I think got your question wrong there! So may be to your actual question, I don't think your present solution will affect the result of next simulation. Not to a significant extent at least. At best, it might help converge the new simulation faster in certain circumstances provided you have selected relevant options in solver manager too to enable that.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2010, 6:48 a.m. EDT
Hi

Do not forget to read carefully the "Solver manager functions" sectio nof the doc(s), and learn how to use "get initial values", "solve from:" initial values ..., "solve from": stored solution ... and "RESTART".

Note that all this has changed names in V4 but are still there ,slightly hidden down in the model study tree

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Do not forget to read carefully the "Solver manager functions" sectio nof the doc(s), and learn how to use "get initial values", "solve from:" initial values ..., "solve from": stored solution ... and "RESTART". Note that all this has changed names in V4 but are still there ,slightly hidden down in the model study tree Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.