Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 4.0 (EQUATIONS AND MODEL LIBRARY GUIDE)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

Does anyone know how to see the standard underlying equations in C4.0? I know, there is equation view but it only shows weak expression and not the standard physics equations (such as NS, heat etc.).
Also, how to get pdf of "model library", as there is only user guide left in 4.0?

Regards
Naveed

6 Replies Last Post Jun 9, 2010, 7:14 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2010, 12:17 p.m. EDT
Hi

I have understood that the COMSOL developpers are still writing up the complementary documentation, they have a tremendous job to rewrite all Physics in this way, so I'm afraid we have to wait still some weeks

Ivar
Hi I have understood that the COMSOL developpers are still writing up the complementary documentation, they have a tremendous job to rewrite all Physics in this way, so I'm afraid we have to wait still some weeks Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 4:12 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar

Thanks. Are you able to see the general equations in C4.0 or they are also in developing stage? With equation view, i can only see the weak expressions/constraint and not the general (in standard form) equations.

Regards
Naveed
Hi Ivar Thanks. Are you able to see the general equations in C4.0 or they are also in developing stage? With equation view, i can only see the weak expressions/constraint and not the general (in standard form) equations. Regards Naveed

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 5:58 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have hear that the gobal equations are not in V4.0 yet, to come we ahve to be patient
Ivar
Hi I have hear that the gobal equations are not in V4.0 yet, to come we ahve to be patient Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 8:06 a.m. EDT
Hi Naveed,

- All models are documented in the help system and as individual PDFs. You can find the PDFs the following way: Click the Dynamic Help button. Select File->Open model library. In the Model Library windows, select the model you are interested. Now find the Related Topic in the dynamic help window. Click the Model name. You now get a PDF button (see attached screenshot pdf.png). This will be much easier in version 4.0a, where you will be able to click the button directly in the model library window.

- Equation (PDE) display is planned for a later release (4.1). As you already noticed the equations are available in Equation View but are generally written in weak form. In 4.0 you can find the continuous PDE formulations in the Mathematics interfaces. (See attached screenshot pde.png)

Niklas Rom, COMSOL

Hi Ivar

Thanks. Are you able to see the general equations in C4.0 or they are also in developing stage? With equation view, i can only see the weak expressions/constraint and not the general (in standard form) equations.

Regards
Naveed

Hi Naveed, - All models are documented in the help system and as individual PDFs. You can find the PDFs the following way: Click the Dynamic Help button. Select File->Open model library. In the Model Library windows, select the model you are interested. Now find the Related Topic in the dynamic help window. Click the Model name. You now get a PDF button (see attached screenshot pdf.png). This will be much easier in version 4.0a, where you will be able to click the button directly in the model library window. - Equation (PDE) display is planned for a later release (4.1). As you already noticed the equations are available in Equation View but are generally written in weak form. In 4.0 you can find the continuous PDE formulations in the Mathematics interfaces. (See attached screenshot pde.png) Niklas Rom, COMSOL [QUOTE] Hi Ivar Thanks. Are you able to see the general equations in C4.0 or they are also in developing stage? With equation view, i can only see the weak expressions/constraint and not the general (in standard form) equations. Regards Naveed [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 8:37 a.m. EDT
Hi Niklas, Ivar

Thanks for the comments. Yes, now I am able to see the (hidden) pdfs of model library. I think, it would be best, if in the upcoming release, the standard physics equation (as read in text books) should re-appear-as they were in C3.5a or earlier. Most of the users are not expert to convert PDEs back to the physical equations for their understanding.

Best Regards
Naveed
Hi Niklas, Ivar Thanks for the comments. Yes, now I am able to see the (hidden) pdfs of model library. I think, it would be best, if in the upcoming release, the standard physics equation (as read in text books) should re-appear-as they were in C3.5a or earlier. Most of the users are not expert to convert PDEs back to the physical equations for their understanding. Best Regards Naveed

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 9, 2010, 7:14 a.m. EDT
Hi everybody!

I agree with you. One of the advantages of COMSOL was the possibility of viewing the Equations while giving the parameters. For me, this is a step back in the development of COMSOL.

I hope the developers fix this in next releases.

Best Regards.

Santiago.
Hi everybody! I agree with you. One of the advantages of COMSOL was the possibility of viewing the Equations while giving the parameters. For me, this is a step back in the development of COMSOL. I hope the developers fix this in next releases. Best Regards. Santiago.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.