Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A conversion of knowledge base model to Comsol 4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

Has anyone tried to implement the large displacements implemented in the model below in Comsol 4? As much as I've understood weak constraints are not implemented in C4.0 (not sure though). Comsol support mentioned that there are other ways to do it (still waiting for the answer).

model: bit.ly/dtP8nM (a le_controlled.mph)

Any ideas to make this model work?

2 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2010, 11:19 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 31, 2010, 3:38 p.m. EDT
Hi

Concerning the weak constraints, I would rather say they are implemented (as they are being used internally and in several examples) but the specific GUI's are not all fully operational, i.e. in 3D structural, I only get 1D weak constraints up, in many of the options. So to really use them for us users, I believe we should not expect to much before 4.0a

I havent really tried out ALE and large deformations either yet, but I believe I' will do just to see ;)
Well here is a model from my search to catch material/spatial and mesh frames for ALE and Deformed Geoemtry, looks familiar, I still need some time to absorb this

As usual, a Ver XX.0 is not to be used for serious design, at most for a learning/training process, but this I have now experienced so often, that I'm not astonished. On the other side, by sending COMSOL documented suggestions for improvements, we can influence the development and get a product better suited for us later, at least that is my hope :)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Concerning the weak constraints, I would rather say they are implemented (as they are being used internally and in several examples) but the specific GUI's are not all fully operational, i.e. in 3D structural, I only get 1D weak constraints up, in many of the options. So to really use them for us users, I believe we should not expect to much before 4.0a I havent really tried out ALE and large deformations either yet, but I believe I' will do just to see ;) Well here is a model from my search to catch material/spatial and mesh frames for ALE and Deformed Geoemtry, looks familiar, I still need some time to absorb this As usual, a Ver XX.0 is not to be used for serious design, at most for a learning/training process, but this I have now experienced so often, that I'm not astonished. On the other side, by sending COMSOL documented suggestions for improvements, we can influence the development and get a product better suited for us later, at least that is my hope :) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 11:19 a.m. EDT
Many thanks Ivar.
Many thanks Ivar.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.