Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Integrating over an arbitrary line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D model that I need to integrate temperature along the line between two points. I have a formula that depends on the integral of temperature and need to compute this formula for a number of distinct lines. I would like to perform the integration and obtain the formula solution within Comsol. I currently perform postprocessing to get the temperature between two arbitrary points, export the data, and perform the integration and formula computations outside of Comsol.

With Integration Coupling Variables, Comsol will integrate temperature over an edge, but not an arbitrary line that is not part of the object's geometry. I can subdivide my object to have edges where I need to evaluate the temperature integral but that complicates my geometry and mesh. Is there another way?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

1 Reply Last Post Aug 29, 2009, 10:47 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 29, 2009, 10:47 p.m. EDT
Mike:

There may be another way, but I know you can add lines to 3D models without subdividing the volumes into multiple domains. Just use Draw-->Line, and enter the starting and ending coordinates for your line. In most cases, the presence of a few extra lines here and there crossing the model won't drastically change the number of mesh elements, and then you can use the standard tools for evaluating the integrals along them.
Mike: There may be another way, but I know you can add lines to 3D models without subdividing the volumes into multiple domains. Just use Draw-->Line, and enter the starting and ending coordinates for your line. In most cases, the presence of a few extra lines here and there crossing the model won't drastically change the number of mesh elements, and then you can use the standard tools for evaluating the integrals along them.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.