Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting deformed mesh at different time steps (ALE mode)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I need to observe the mesh deformation in ALE mode. How can i plot the deformed mesh at some intermediate time steps.

I know it can be done, as shown in the following link but i could not make out so far.

(comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/970/)

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Mranal

4 Replies Last Post Sep 22, 2009, 7:48 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2009, 4:47 p.m. EDT
Hi

I suppose you want to play with the "Solver Parameters" "Plot While Solving" tick (lover left side of GUI), and set the desired "Plot Settings"

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I suppose you want to play with the "Solver Parameters" "Plot While Solving" tick (lover left side of GUI), and set the desired "Plot Settings" Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2009, 8:18 p.m. EDT
I'm sorry if this sounds too basic, but under plot parameters, in the general tab, you can choose at which time the solution is displayed. In the animate tab, you can generate an animation of the model over a range of time.

Based on your description, that sounds like that's pretty much what you need. If that's not it, could you be more specific about exactly what do you need to do?
I'm sorry if this sounds too basic, but under plot parameters, in the general tab, you can choose at which time the solution is displayed. In the animate tab, you can generate an animation of the model over a range of time. Based on your description, that sounds like that's pretty much what you need. If that's not it, could you be more specific about exactly what do you need to do?

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2009, 7:37 p.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar and Mario,

Yeah, now i can visualize the deformed mesh using surface plot and selecting option 'wireframe' as pointed out to me by Michael in comsol_users yahoo group.

I wanted to observe the mesh deformation at different timesteps especially to asess the stop condition i.e. when we specify stop condition i.e. minqual1_ale_0.1, what kind of deformation it corresponds to and what may be the right stop conditon for my case?

Thanks again for you responses.

Mranal
Thanks Ivar and Mario, Yeah, now i can visualize the deformed mesh using surface plot and selecting option 'wireframe' as pointed out to me by Michael in comsol_users yahoo group. I wanted to observe the mesh deformation at different timesteps especially to asess the stop condition i.e. when we specify stop condition i.e. minqual1_ale_0.1, what kind of deformation it corresponds to and what may be the right stop conditon for my case? Thanks again for you responses. Mranal

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2009, 7:48 p.m. EDT
small addition, in the surface plot change the fill style from 'filled' to 'wireframe'.

small correction: Pointed to me by Mike (not Michael)
small addition, in the surface plot change the fill style from 'filled' to 'wireframe'. small correction: Pointed to me by Mike (not Michael)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.