Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Obtaining accurate geometry from deformed mesh ('mesh2geom', ALE mode)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I am using ALE module and once the quality of mesh degrade below specified limit, the solver stops and i use mesh2geom to recreate the geometry from deformed mesh and restart solver.

It works well for some time. After certain time-step, the difference between original geomtery and the one i created from deformed mesh grows and all kinds of problem (failed to insert point, invalid cavity, inconsistent initial guess) etc. kick in. All these problems occur at the curved boundary, while i tried playing with fine mesh along this boundary, it doesn;t seem to work as of now.

Any suggestions to work around this problem? how to accurately extract geometry using mesh2geom ?

I thought of re-creating original shape/geometry after some threshold time but that changes the boundary numbers and then i need to change (automate) a whole lot of things in the model, couping variables, boundary conditions etc. As previous posts suggest, i can use geomanalyze to track the change in edge numbering but there may be a smart way?

Also, is there any way, we can fix the edge numbers in any geometry?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mranal

0 Replies Last Post Sep 22, 2009, 7:19 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mranal Jain

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.