Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electro-mechanical coupling of Dielectro Electro-active polymers

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

1)I am trying to simulate the characteristics of electro-active polymer actuators to study their stress/strain(large deformations) vs. applied voltage

2))In principle they are compliant capacitors made of polymers for dielectric and compliant conductive coating for electrodes.

3)When the capacitor is electrically charged with a high DC voltage (kilovolts), the electrodes squeeze the elastic dielectric in the direction of generated electric field to attract the oppososing charges and thus, the nearly incompressible dielectric film expands in-plane directions

4)The electrostatic pressure acting on the elastic dielectric can be calculated for any given applied voltage and dielectric thickness.

Electrostatic pressure= 8.85*10^-12*dielectric constant* (Voltage/thickness of the dielectric)^2

This is the only equation available for the electro-mechanical coupling.

5)DC Voltages are in the order of up to 10KV (in case of 1 mm dielectric thickness) and deformations are in the order of 10% to 30% for pre-stretched actuators.

Strain-stress 3d module+electrostatic module???

I do not know how to link or couple these two modules. I am new to COMSOL! I appreciate if anyone could provide me with some feedback? if you require more info please ask.

Please advise and thanks for your time and patience in advance.

K.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 24, 2009, 7:49 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kambiz Daheshpour

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.