Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Module Combination

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am wondering whether I can couple the piezoelectric and RF module, in order to analyze the interaction between piezoelectric response and electromagnetic fields present in the medium?

5 Replies Last Post Sep 27, 2017, 6:23 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 14, 2015, 1:53 p.m. EDT
In COMSOL, capabilities from all Modules can always be coupled within a single model file.
Jeff
In COMSOL, capabilities from all Modules can always be coupled within a single model file. Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 29, 2017, 12:45 p.m. EDT
Hi everybody,

I just found this thread that resemble very much my problem, therefore I will ask a question here, instead starting a new one.

When I tried to combine "solid mechanics" with "RF" module, I got this message in the multiphysics window:

"No coupling features are available for the selected physics interfaces".

So, how do I simulate piezoelectric material coupled to electromagnetic waves? Is there a way to couple those equation?

Thanks
Hi everybody, I just found this thread that resemble very much my problem, therefore I will ask a question here, instead starting a new one. When I tried to combine "solid mechanics" with "RF" module, I got this message in the multiphysics window: "No coupling features are available for the selected physics interfaces". So, how do I simulate piezoelectric material coupled to electromagnetic waves? Is there a way to couple those equation? Thanks

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 29, 2017, 2:13 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Aug 30, 2017, 8:13 a.m. EDT
The Multiphysics branch only contains some pre-implemented couplings. There are many other ways you could couple physics together that the Multiphysics node does not cover, the most obvious one being to have a variable from one physics appearing in the equation governing another physics. Bear in mind that in the COMSOL interface, in your physics settings, all text fields can contain mathematical expressions, not just constant values. You can use that capability to, for instance, in your case, set up a mechanical load that depends on your EM solution in an unusual way, or to make an EM material property depend on the mechanical strains in some custom way.
Best,
Jeff
The Multiphysics branch only contains some pre-implemented couplings. There are many other ways you could couple physics together that the Multiphysics node does not cover, the most obvious one being to have a variable from one physics appearing in the equation governing another physics. Bear in mind that in the COMSOL interface, in your physics settings, all text fields can contain mathematical expressions, not just constant values. You can use that capability to, for instance, in your case, set up a mechanical load that depends on your EM solution in an unusual way, or to make an EM material property depend on the mechanical strains in some custom way. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 31, 2017, 4:57 a.m. EDT
Great, I did not know this possibility. I will try it.

Thanks,
Marco
Great, I did not know this possibility. I will try it. Thanks, Marco

Posted: 6 years ago Sep 27, 2017, 6:23 a.m. EDT

Hi everyone,

I also have somewhat a similar situation. I have simulated doped ZnS in chemical specie transpor module. And now, i want to use this same structure to determine its absorption profile using RF module. 1) How can i import the doped profile as geometry material now for electric field simulation. And will software take into account the doped elements(Mn and Sn) as well? 2) Or i have to place some combined optical properties as input parameters?

Hi everyone, I also have somewhat a similar situation. I have simulated doped ZnS in chemical specie transpor module. And now, i want to use this same structure to determine its absorption profile using RF module. 1) How can i import the doped profile as geometry material now for electric field simulation. And will software take into account the doped elements(Mn and Sn) as well? 2) Or i have to place some combined optical properties as input parameters?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.