Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mphtxt conversion back to CAD format (IGES, ...)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

is there any suitable proven way how to convert a geometry from Comsol back to any CAD format? I see some potential in *.txt file, but I do not uderstand it deeply. And I also think that somebody have tried it before me (as ussual ;-)

Thank you!

4 Replies Last Post Oct 8, 2009, 5:39 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 30, 2009, 9:56 a.m. EDT
Hi

I gave up several months ago, took me to much time, but I beleive its possible ifyou have the time and effort to do it, and you would learn quite alot about COMSOl inteernals like that. It is true that import/export of data is rather limited in COMSOL, this is annoying when collaborating with other persons working with other tools, or just to export your deformed results to an otical programme for further testing of the optics on your deformed lenses. Let's see what COMSOl wil propose in V4. ..

Ivar
Hi I gave up several months ago, took me to much time, but I beleive its possible ifyou have the time and effort to do it, and you would learn quite alot about COMSOl inteernals like that. It is true that import/export of data is rather limited in COMSOL, this is annoying when collaborating with other persons working with other tools, or just to export your deformed results to an otical programme for further testing of the optics on your deformed lenses. Let's see what COMSOl wil propose in V4. .. Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 1, 2009, 2:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

Thank you 4 reply!

I give up too... :(

BUT

"I'll be back" :)

T.
Hi Thank you 4 reply! I give up too... :( BUT "I'll be back" :) T.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 8, 2009, 11:38 a.m. EDT
Hi,

you need CAD Import Module lic. in order to export and import models coming from different cad software.
For example if you need to export a 3D Model from Comsol Preprocessor you can do this with few steps:
In the file Menu you have to choose Export/Geometry Objects to File, select the geometry objects that you want to export and after this you can choose the extension of the file among
Parasolid text file *.x_t
Parasolid binary file *.x_b
etc.

If you want to import a 3d geometry a very usefull tool is the solidworks connection that allows to directly visualizing the geometry from solidworks to comsol preprocessor.

Eros

Hi, you need CAD Import Module lic. in order to export and import models coming from different cad software. For example if you need to export a 3D Model from Comsol Preprocessor you can do this with few steps: In the file Menu you have to choose Export/Geometry Objects to File, select the geometry objects that you want to export and after this you can choose the extension of the file among Parasolid text file *.x_t Parasolid binary file *.x_b etc. If you want to import a 3d geometry a very usefull tool is the solidworks connection that allows to directly visualizing the geometry from solidworks to comsol preprocessor. Eros

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 8, 2009, 5:39 p.m. EDT
Hi

From my knowledge only CAD imported geometries can be re-exported as parasolid files, with the "CAD module". COMSOL GUI generated geometries remain exportable only in COMSOL format.

The SolidWorks interface is nice, I used it often, altough the parasolid import from SolidWorks to COMSOL is as good and efficient.

It would be nice, I agree, to export COMSOL geometries, but upto v3.5a it has been like that

Ivar
Hi From my knowledge only CAD imported geometries can be re-exported as parasolid files, with the "CAD module". COMSOL GUI generated geometries remain exportable only in COMSOL format. The SolidWorks interface is nice, I used it often, altough the parasolid import from SolidWorks to COMSOL is as good and efficient. It would be nice, I agree, to export COMSOL geometries, but upto v3.5a it has been like that Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.