Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eddy current under a uniform alternating magnetic field--simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am new in using comsol. I want to use comsol to solve this problem: When a uniform alternating magnetic field normal to a straigh conductor, the eddy current will be induced in this conductor. I want to model it, and calculate the power loss.
I searced some liabrary model in comsol, but acutally, they are different from my question.
I have tried in comosl like this: 1) I draw a 3-D straight copper conductor in AC/DC MC or MEC model. 2) In MC or MEC model, I set the magnetic field "solve for"--"Reduced field"--Aby=B0*x. Then there will be a z-axis alternating magnetic field. 3) mesh the conductor and study it. But I can not see the eddy current in this conductor.
Who can tell me if are there some errors in my model that I attached?
Question: 1) I can see that the backgroud magnetic field mf.Hbz is uniform. I think this magnetic field is an alternating field not a static field. Am I right?
2) Should I add a boundry?
3) Can I simulate it by using HFSS if COMSOL can not.
4) How to get the power loss? By intergrating the current density in x, y, and z, direction seperately?
Please note: I need a 3-D conductor to get a accurate enough results.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Replies Last Post Feb 24, 2016, 11:03 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yuhua Cheng

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.