Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling the skull

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi..
I am a student at the university of Nottingham. I am currently working on a project based on FEA of soft tissue during image-guided surgery.

I am not very familiar with the comsol software. Could some one please show me how to model a basic skull? all i am trying to do is to see if i can put a force inside the skull and hence see the force distribution.

Thank you

6 Replies Last Post Apr 2, 2011, 5:00 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 8, 2010, 1:04 a.m. EST
Hi

you need to get a CAD model as a geometrical (Object) representation of your skull, and then you should apply material properties to this comsol analysed geoemtry (entities) .

To start with you could say you have a half or a full hollow sphere of a given thickness. Remain to find the material properties of the skull bone, ther are a few books that could have that, check the book web page on the main Comsol site, or try a search on the forum

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need to get a CAD model as a geometrical (Object) representation of your skull, and then you should apply material properties to this comsol analysed geoemtry (entities) . To start with you could say you have a half or a full hollow sphere of a given thickness. Remain to find the material properties of the skull bone, ther are a few books that could have that, check the book web page on the main Comsol site, or try a search on the forum -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2010, 7:09 a.m. EST
Ivar,

My study is based on FEA of soft tissue deformation during image guided surgery.

Thank you. that was help full. I was having trouble using the software since i was new at it. But now i am able to draw a model of the skull in 2D.

Is it possible to download material libraries? i need properties for materials such Skull, soft tissues, cerebral fluid.

Thank you..

Appreciate it.
Ivar, My study is based on FEA of soft tissue deformation during image guided surgery. Thank you. that was help full. I was having trouble using the software since i was new at it. But now i am able to draw a model of the skull in 2D. Is it possible to download material libraries? i need properties for materials such Skull, soft tissues, cerebral fluid. Thank you.. Appreciate it.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2010, 12:50 p.m. EST
Hi

there is a material library that you can buy as a toolbox option, now I do not know if you find your "material" therein, you can also build up your own from material data from the litterature, see the doc how to.

Check the books on Comsol website, there are a few about biomaterial simulations too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is a material library that you can buy as a toolbox option, now I do not know if you find your "material" therein, you can also build up your own from material data from the litterature, see the doc how to. Check the books on Comsol website, there are a few about biomaterial simulations too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2010, 8:04 a.m. EST
hi Ivar,

Made good progress so far. thank you.

Any tips on creating the human skull in 2D? trying to simulate a tool causing soft tissue deformation in the skull. Cannot seem to allow the tool to pass through since i cannot create an opening in the skull...

Any help will be appreciated.
hi Ivar, Made good progress so far. thank you. Any tips on creating the human skull in 2D? trying to simulate a tool causing soft tissue deformation in the skull. Cannot seem to allow the tool to pass through since i cannot create an opening in the skull... Any help will be appreciated.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2010, 9:54 a.m. EST
Hi

what about trying two concentric circles (2D) or spheres (3D) ?

Then if you have a a cylindrical tool (needle shape ?), make the cut in the scull section attach it via a "assembly" with some friction and push on it with your tool, then you can simulate the motion until the tool arrives close to the skull thickness (thereafter change in topology and the COMSOL solver will probably diverge) its tricky but I asume feasible. Nevertheless the representativity of your model implies then that you can estiamte some friction function to use that represents the tear/penetration forces of your tool.

As ususal FEM can show everything, but verifying / validating your model is the true dificulty ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what about trying two concentric circles (2D) or spheres (3D) ? Then if you have a a cylindrical tool (needle shape ?), make the cut in the scull section attach it via a "assembly" with some friction and push on it with your tool, then you can simulate the motion until the tool arrives close to the skull thickness (thereafter change in topology and the COMSOL solver will probably diverge) its tricky but I asume feasible. Nevertheless the representativity of your model implies then that you can estiamte some friction function to use that represents the tear/penetration forces of your tool. As ususal FEM can show everything, but verifying / validating your model is the true dificulty ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 2, 2011, 5:00 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I am still working on the project i discussed earlier with you. I was recently going to attend a seminar on comsol but it got cancelled.

I have progressed quite a lot in my research. however, i have a question..If i want to set a model as linear elastic, how would i do that directly from comsol? i am using version 3.5. do i need equations? or can i just set it to linear elastic?

Regards,

Mihir.
Hi Ivar, I am still working on the project i discussed earlier with you. I was recently going to attend a seminar on comsol but it got cancelled. I have progressed quite a lot in my research. however, i have a question..If i want to set a model as linear elastic, how would i do that directly from comsol? i am using version 3.5. do i need equations? or can i just set it to linear elastic? Regards, Mihir.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.