Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structural mechanics internal boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I am kinda new to comsol, but I have this project were I made a certain geometry, but now I need to split it into three subdomains instead of 1 big one. Is there something such as creating an internal boundary of some sort in order to accomplish this. Most of my work in the structural mechanics module, and I'm not sure how to go about splitting object that are not united by the union function.

Another thing I am having trouble meshing an assembly. Both parts mesh seperately, however when together it gives me an internal geometry error. The two parts are not directly in contact with each other (I made sure), but they are close enough for comsol to recognize them.

Please help me asap

Thanks,

Ben

1 Reply Last Post Dec 14, 2010, 2:59 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 14, 2010, 2:59 a.m. EST
Hi

1) there is little help with asap's here, we are all up here on our private time (or night sleep ;)

2) if you have made youre CAD in COMSOL (in fact also if impoted) you can cut your geomtrical objects with the comsol commands by adding lines or planes, check the doc on the geoemtry generation. When COMSOl perform the analysis your geometry (when you pass the geometry "finish flag" in V4, you geometrical objects are converted to FEM geometrical entities (domains boundaries possibly edge and points) which are unique and numbered. Its on these entites yu apply physics and your BC's and mathematical shape functions, then finaly (in contrary to other FEM tools) you apply your mesh. If a surface is split by a line, COMSOL mostly split the surface into two (you might need to do it explicitely, in particular for importe geoemtry)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi 1) there is little help with asap's here, we are all up here on our private time (or night sleep ;) 2) if you have made youre CAD in COMSOL (in fact also if impoted) you can cut your geomtrical objects with the comsol commands by adding lines or planes, check the doc on the geoemtry generation. When COMSOl perform the analysis your geometry (when you pass the geometry "finish flag" in V4, you geometrical objects are converted to FEM geometrical entities (domains boundaries possibly edge and points) which are unique and numbered. Its on these entites yu apply physics and your BC's and mathematical shape functions, then finaly (in contrary to other FEM tools) you apply your mesh. If a surface is split by a line, COMSOL mostly split the surface into two (you might need to do it explicitely, in particular for importe geoemtry) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.