Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to open 4.1 file in 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI,

I am trying to download a semiconductor diode file from the knowledge base, it provide 3.5 and 4.1 version.

the problem is My COMSOL is 4.0a cannot open the 4.1 version file.

is there any ideas?

thanks

Ben

6 Replies Last Post Mar 2, 2011, 1:45 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2011, 12:53 p.m. EST
Hi

from what I know 4.1 files are not compatible with 4.0, anyhow you should get hands on 4.1, its much smoother, check with your loca COMSOL representant

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from what I know 4.1 files are not compatible with 4.0, anyhow you should get hands on 4.1, its much smoother, check with your loca COMSOL representant -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2011, 8:40 p.m. EST
Why isn't full backwards compatibility an option, especially between subsequent versions with minor differences? Common sense suggests that it would have been included by now unless there are business reasons for not doing so.

I have two computers that I work on, one with 4.0a, the other 4.1. I have to be VERY careful how I move files back and forth. I still screw up sometimes and save over 4.0a files as 4.1 files, ruining full evenings of planned work. I am fully aware of the incompatibility and take full responsibility for these screw-ups, but this is NOT how to design a product that is seemingly updated once a week.
Why isn't full backwards compatibility an option, especially between subsequent versions with minor differences? Common sense suggests that it would have been included by now unless there are business reasons for not doing so. I have two computers that I work on, one with 4.0a, the other 4.1. I have to be VERY careful how I move files back and forth. I still screw up sometimes and save over 4.0a files as 4.1 files, ruining full evenings of planned work. I am fully aware of the incompatibility and take full responsibility for these screw-ups, but this is NOT how to design a product that is seemingly updated once a week.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 6:11 p.m. EST
I'm also a victim of the file incompatibility... not convenient at all... kind of microsoftish...
I'm also a victim of the file incompatibility... not convenient at all... kind of microsoftish...

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2011, 1:43 a.m. EST
Hi

My advice: forget 4.0 and 4.0a and move on, for me is either =v3.5a or >=v4.1

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My advice: forget 4.0 and 4.0a and move on, for me is either =v3.5a or >=v4.1 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2011, 10:41 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

Do you happen to know if I could save a 4.1 as 4.0.

Want to transfer my 4.1 model to a friend who is using 4.0.

Thanks !

Sally
Hi Ivar, Do you happen to know if I could save a 4.1 as 4.0. Want to transfer my 4.1 model to a friend who is using 4.0. Thanks ! Sally

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 1:45 a.m. EST
Hi

COMSOL is not backward compatible, but perhaps you can save te geometry and reload it ;)

Anyhow you learn more be recreating models than copying and getting frustrated to find errors difficult to identify, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL is not backward compatible, but perhaps you can save te geometry and reload it ;) Anyhow you learn more be recreating models than copying and getting frustrated to find errors difficult to identify, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.