Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

two dipoles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to model a system where I have an oscillating dipole with a certain frequency and through its electric field I can excite another dipole. How can I simulate the interaction between two dipoles? Frequency Domain would only give one frequency for the dipoles and I need the other to be excited, and not start with the same frequency as the first one.

3 Replies Last Post Jun 26, 2017, 12:32 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 23, 2017, 4:01 p.m. EDT
Umm, if the second (passive) dipole is excited by the first it will have voltages and currents at the frequency you use to drive the first one.

You might want to think about whether you want the undriven dipole shorted, open, or terminated.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
Umm, if the second (passive) dipole is excited by the first it will have voltages and currents at the frequency you use to drive the first one. You might want to think about whether you want the undriven dipole shorted, open, or terminated. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 24, 2017, 3:14 a.m. EDT
Dear D Greve,
Thanks for the reply.
I don't quite understand your point, because I am simulating a quantum emitter as a point dipole. For example, I have air as the background medium and place two points that will be my electric dipoles. I want to put one of them oscillating and the other static. The field of the first one should be able to excite the other and put it oscillating with the same frequency, but I don't know how to do that. I thought about time domain but I am not able to define a point as a dipole.
Dear D Greve, Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand your point, because I am simulating a quantum emitter as a point dipole. For example, I have air as the background medium and place two points that will be my electric dipoles. I want to put one of them oscillating and the other static. The field of the first one should be able to excite the other and put it oscillating with the same frequency, but I don't know how to do that. I thought about time domain but I am not able to define a point as a dipole.

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 26, 2017, 12:32 p.m. EDT
Larissa,

Point dipoles are available in time domain, as shown in the attached image.

Regards,
Sergei
Larissa, Point dipoles are available in time domain, as shown in the attached image. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.