Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structural modeling of brittle materials?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm fairly new to comsol, and only use it for structural analysis so far.

I have a couple parts made out of Boron Nitride. I'm trying to figure out what they might do in compression, and maybe even in shear.

Maybe it can't be done at all, since I can't find young's modulus or Poisson ratio for the stuff.

Am I just wishful thinking or is there a way to do this?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 1, 2011, 4:43 p.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 4:43 p.m. EDT
It can be done, but you need the right inputs. You need Young’s modulus and Poisson’s ratio, in addition to failure stresses in different loading modes. Based on the failure stresses you can set up an appropriate failure criterion (such as maximum principal stress or Mises stress).

You can get ballpark estimates of material properties from reliable material libraries such as www.matweb.com. However, there will be significant variability, especially in the failure data. It is best to test the material yourself, or request that info from the company that supplies the Boron Nitride material.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
It can be done, but you need the right inputs. You need Young’s modulus and Poisson’s ratio, in addition to failure stresses in different loading modes. Based on the failure stresses you can set up an appropriate failure criterion (such as maximum principal stress or Mises stress). You can get ballpark estimates of material properties from reliable material libraries such as www.matweb.com. However, there will be significant variability, especially in the failure data. It is best to test the material yourself, or request that info from the company that supplies the Boron Nitride material. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.