Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat flux in a combustion chamber

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm new in the COMSOL.
Can anyone please guide me?
Currently I'm looking for how to get the value of heat flux in a combustion chamber?
The chamber surrounded by refractory & consist 3 inlets of air supply:
- Inlet 1: 6m/s,
- Inlet 2: 4m/s,
- Inlet 3: 2m/s.

Million Thanks.

Best regards,
Chong

6 Replies Last Post May 3, 2011, 6:03 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 2:08 a.m. EDT
Hi

my only advice, start simple: take a box with one inlet and one outlet get it to work, then add a second inlet etc

Start with a few of the model library examples you will learn much quicker to follow them

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my only advice, start simple: take a box with one inlet and one outlet get it to work, then add a second inlet etc Start with a few of the model library examples you will learn much quicker to follow them -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 2:15 a.m. EDT
Greeting :)

Thanks for the advice. Its work :)

By the way, could you please explain to me the function of "generating solver sequence"?

As I plan to coupled:
i) Turbulence flow
ii) Transport of diluted species
iii) Heat transfer in solid, fluid, participating media

Your answer is much appreciated :)

Thanks you,
Chong
Greeting :) Thanks for the advice. Its work :) By the way, could you please explain to me the function of "generating solver sequence"? As I plan to coupled: i) Turbulence flow ii) Transport of diluted species iii) Heat transfer in solid, fluid, participating media Your answer is much appreciated :) Thanks you, Chong

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 9:41 a.m. EDT
Hi

First be sure you have the latest v4.1 doc as its much better/more complete than the 4.0.

Then right click on the solver nodes to look at the options systematically, and read carefully the related solver doc.

Normally, I always let COMSOL generate a "default solver sequence, once I have added up one or a few of them in the first solver type node level. Then depending on my model, I add segregated solver nodes, separate or re-organise the dependent variables (if I'm not happy, even if Mostly COMSOL is proposing fully valid solutions)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi First be sure you have the latest v4.1 doc as its much better/more complete than the 4.0. Then right click on the solver nodes to look at the options systematically, and read carefully the related solver doc. Normally, I always let COMSOL generate a "default solver sequence, once I have added up one or a few of them in the first solver type node level. Then depending on my model, I add segregated solver nodes, separate or re-organise the dependent variables (if I'm not happy, even if Mostly COMSOL is proposing fully valid solutions) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2011, 5:19 a.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar for the helpful reply.

With your previous help, now I'm moving on with NOx (Nitric Oxide) simulation in Biomass Combustion.
But currently I'm stuck in which Module to use:

i) Transport of diluted species; or
ii) Reaction engineering?

Can you briefly guide me how to model NOx formation in COMSOL?
Or are there any examples i can refer to?

Million thanks.

Best regards,
Chong

Thanks Ivar for the helpful reply. With your previous help, now I'm moving on with NOx (Nitric Oxide) simulation in Biomass Combustion. But currently I'm stuck in which Module to use: i) Transport of diluted species; or ii) Reaction engineering? Can you briefly guide me how to model NOx formation in COMSOL? Or are there any examples i can refer to? Million thanks. Best regards, Chong

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2011, 5:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

Chemical reaction lab is not my speciality so I'm not the best to ask, but there must be someone else out there.

What I can say as transport of diluted species is for me mainly "transport" without reactions TBC, while reaction engineering is to keep the balance of the ongoing chemical reactions.

Remains to study (I do not know and would have to dig deep in there, but do not really have any time just now) if the reaction enginerring physics contain the transport physics too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Chemical reaction lab is not my speciality so I'm not the best to ask, but there must be someone else out there. What I can say as transport of diluted species is for me mainly "transport" without reactions TBC, while reaction engineering is to keep the balance of the ongoing chemical reactions. Remains to study (I do not know and would have to dig deep in there, but do not really have any time just now) if the reaction enginerring physics contain the transport physics too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2011, 6:03 a.m. EDT
Noted. thanks :)
Noted. thanks :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.