Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling Variable, Integration. Which Frame?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In Structural Mechanics, I would like to compute the polar moment of inertia Izz of a cylinder on which appy a centrifugal force for example.
For this purpose, I am doing a integration over all domains using the integrator coupling variable, i.e. intop1.
I have defined Izz as intop1(solid.rho((x-xcm)^2 + (y-ycm)^2) where xcm and ycm are the coordinate of the center of mass in the x resp. y direction.
Depending on the frame selection for the integration (Spatial or Material) and depending on using captial or lower-case letters for x and y I get 4 different results.

I assume that the moment of Inertia before deformation should be computed in the material frame, using capital letter, so Izz = intop1(solid.rho((X-xcm)^2 + (Y-ycm)^2) where intop1 is integrating in the material frame. But how should I compute the polar moment of inertia of the deformed geometry? I would assume that I still have to integrated in the material frame but that x and y should be lower-case letters. Otherwise the mass won't be consider correctly. But I am not sure at all. Can someone confirm this? I am also not sure to unterdstand what is difference between an integration of X in the spatial frame and an Integration of x in the material frame. I went trought the very interesting Ivar's Paper (Structural Analysis: Going beyond standard Load Cases) but I am still stuck here.

Regards
Vincent

0 Replies Last Post Jun 24, 2011, 4:37 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vincent Chenal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.