Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Discrepency between 2D and 3D models of temperature rise in thin film

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

My name is Carl Merrigan. I am an undergraduate summer REU student attempting to do some modeling in Comsol. I have no previsous modeling experience.

I am attempting to model the laser-induced temperature rise in a 100 nm thin film of vanadium dioxide on 1 mm thick glass substrate. I have created a 2D axisyemmetric model and a 3D model. The 2D axisymmetric model gives a maximum temperature of 340 C, while the 3D model gives a max temp of 301 C. In both models, I have defined a Gaussian heat sources that I believe should be equivalent. Any ideas about what could be causing this discrepancy?

Heat source for 2D axisymmetric Q = (1-R)*gamma*I0*exp(-(r/Rs)^2)*exp(-gamma*abs(z)) Units: W/m^3

Heat Source for 3D Q = (1-R)*gamma*IO*exp(-(x^2+y^2)/(Rs^2))*exp(-gamma*abs(z)) Units: W/m^3

The parameters in the above equations are: R- reflection coefficient, gamma- absorbtion coefficient, Rs is the radius of the beam spot = 100 micrometers, and I0 is the maximum intensity.

I can provide more details about the way I have defined both geometries if needed. I think I am defining them equivalently, but I'm not sure.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 18, 2011, 12:11 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Carl Merrigan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.