Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Basic Question - How to use Maximum Model Coupling Variable?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a question regarding the very basic use of the maximum model coupling variable.

In my results, I have the voltage profile along the wire I've created in my geometry. It basically starts at a maximum value and decreases linearly to 0 V along the wire. I need to use the terminal voltage value of the wire in another equation, but the actual Electric Current module value of the terminal voltage (ec.V0_1 or something like that) doesn't seem to be working correctly (0V at all times). The voltage profile looks correct though, so I need to use the maximum value on this as the terminal voltage. Unfortunately, because the Electric Potential V the module solves for is a function of x, I can't simply plug in "V" where I need it in my other equations. I need the maximum value of voltage along the domain, for each time step, in order to simulate correctly.

So I've created a maximum coupling variable, called maxop1, and selected the entire wire as my domain. Now what do I do? I've tried using it where I need, putting maxop1(V) where appropriate, but it gives errors of unknown function. Do I need to create a new function involving this maximum coupling variable? If so, what would be the step-by-step process to do this?

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge of COMSOL basics, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time!

Thomas

0 Replies Last Post Jul 18, 2011, 4:14 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Thomas Rembert

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.