Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact problem with viscoelastic material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,
I am trying to model a problem using the structural mechanics module. My problem involves several subdomains of which some are elastic and some are viscoelastic. It also involves 2 contact pair which I am interested in stress changes on them after I apply displacement to the left boundary (please see attached model for clarity).

According to what I understand from the manual, is that I need to first use the Viscoelastic Transient Initialization solver then I need to use the time-dependent solver to get the stresses from the relaxation of the viscoelastic domains. But given that my problem involves displacement and also 2 contact pairs with friction, how do I set up my solvers correctly. I tried following the instructions in the manual but my model is failing. Also, according to the manual I can not use an iterative solver when the contact pairs involve friction and/or when displacement is involved. May someone please help me step through setting my different solvers such that I get a solution?

Basically, what I want is to model stress changes from an applied displacement where my model involves 2 contact pairs with friction and a one or more viscoelastic domains

Thank you all very much,
Maya

1 Reply Last Post Jul 18, 2011, 6:51 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 18, 2011, 6:51 p.m. EDT
sorry there was an error in the model file that I uploaded earlier this is the correct one.

Any one with suggestions please

Maya
sorry there was an error in the model file that I uploaded earlier this is the correct one. Any one with suggestions please Maya

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.