Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling honeycomb in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model an aluminum honeycomb core in a structural mechanics model in Comsol 4.2. I'm stuck in trying to define the orthotropic honeycomb material as completely as Comsol requires, since the manufacturer's data only provides the E33 stiffness (given as the compressive modulus) and the G13 and G23 shear moduli. I am not sure how to go about finding the rest of the independent material properties (E22 E33 G12 and poisson ratios v12 v13 v23) to populate the stiffness (E), poisson's (nu), and shear (G) vectors in the material definition. I've searched around a bit and read that one can make reasonable approximations for the missing properties as percentages of the given data, but I don't have the actual percentages. Any guidance you might have for me as a COMSOL neophyte would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

0 Replies Last Post Jul 22, 2011, 4:34 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joe Bue

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.