Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Updating the Stiffness Matrix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

is it possible to update the stiffnesmatrix in multiphysics? I would like to programm ( preferably in Matlab ) an iterativ procedure, which updates after every iteration the stiffnessmatrix of my model. For example:

1. Solve the model
2. Compare calculated stresses with experimentally obtained stresses
3. Update the stiffnessmatrix
4. Solve the model again
5. Compare calculated stresses with experimentally obtained stresses

......... and so on

Is that possible?

Thanks!
Fabian

2 Replies Last Post Sep 12, 2011, 2:45 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 9, 2011, 2:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you want to do, but it seems strange, why update the stiffness matrix, since its calculated from the boundary conditions. You should rather update the boundary loads or the material properties, which will allow COMSOL to update the stiffness matrix in a lofical way.

I feel a confusion about what is master and what is slave here, but I might just not habve understood your question ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure if I fully understand what you want to do, but it seems strange, why update the stiffness matrix, since its calculated from the boundary conditions. You should rather update the boundary loads or the material properties, which will allow COMSOL to update the stiffness matrix in a lofical way. I feel a confusion about what is master and what is slave here, but I might just not habve understood your question ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 12, 2011, 2:45 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your reply!

I try to clarify my problem. I want to model damage in an inverse way. I an experiment, I determine the eigenfrequencies of my damaged structure. My FE-model of the same structure is in the undamaged state. The eigenfrequencies are sensitive to damage, which means, they are different to the eigenfrequencies in the undamaged state. Hence, the eigenfrequencies calculated with my FE-model differ from the eigenfrequencies determined in the experiment. Now, I want to update my FE-model, so that I calculate the same eigenfrequencies like in the experiment. The eigenfrequencies are influenced by the stiffness of the structure. Hence, I would like to update the stiffnessmatrix, to modify the eigenfrequencies of my FE-model. I hope this explanation helps to clarify my problem.

Best regards

Fabian
Thank you for your reply! I try to clarify my problem. I want to model damage in an inverse way. I an experiment, I determine the eigenfrequencies of my damaged structure. My FE-model of the same structure is in the undamaged state. The eigenfrequencies are sensitive to damage, which means, they are different to the eigenfrequencies in the undamaged state. Hence, the eigenfrequencies calculated with my FE-model differ from the eigenfrequencies determined in the experiment. Now, I want to update my FE-model, so that I calculate the same eigenfrequencies like in the experiment. The eigenfrequencies are influenced by the stiffness of the structure. Hence, I would like to update the stiffnessmatrix, to modify the eigenfrequencies of my FE-model. I hope this explanation helps to clarify my problem. Best regards Fabian

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.