Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Questions about the thermal stress simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Now I am trying to do the thermal stress simulation, but comsol do the thermal and mechanical simulations together. I want to do the thermal and mechanical simulation separately, because the thermal one is too complecated. Both simulations are time dependent. How can I put the results of temperature into the mechanical simulation? Now I tried to buil 2 studies. In Study 1 I only do the thermal simulation. In Study 2 I set up a thermal simulation without boundary conditions and couple it with the mechanical simulation. Then I set the initial values and values of variables to the results of study 1, but the results seem to be wrong. Are there any other ways to do so?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 24, 2019, 8:33 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 24, 2019, 8:33 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Jan 24, 2019, 8:33 a.m. EST

Hi,

You seldom need to do a time dependent solution for the structural part, since the time scale for heat transfer and structual vibrations are so different. The exception is when there is an explicit time dependence on the structural side, as when analysing creep.

Thus, the solid mechanics part can usually be treated as a sequence of stationary solutions using the temperature field at some time instances as imput.

There are several ways in which you can set up such an analysis. One example is shown in https://www.comsol.com/model/temperature-dependent-plasticity-in-pressure-vessel-12805 .

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, You seldom need to do a time dependent solution for the structural part, since the time scale for heat transfer and structual vibrations are so different. The exception is when there is an explicit time dependence on the structural side, as when analysing creep. Thus, the solid mechanics part can usually be treated as a sequence of stationary solutions using the temperature field at some time instances as imput. There are several ways in which you can set up such an analysis. One example is shown in . Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.