Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to asssign Conductivity to each element

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

i made the 2-D square model and make square Mesh elements . can i assign different conductivity to some of the mesh elements?

4 Replies Last Post Oct 28, 2011, 8:42 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 28, 2011, 6:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

In COMSOL you do NOT work on the mesh (this is important to understand if you are used to "classical" FEM) you define the physics onto the elements (geometry) and then you mesh the geometry and the mesh elements inherit the physics required. So you should cut up your geometry first, apply physical properties to these "elements" (Domains, boundaries ...) and then mesh it and go on.

careful my naming convention here is the v4, it was slightly different in 3.5

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In COMSOL you do NOT work on the mesh (this is important to understand if you are used to "classical" FEM) you define the physics onto the elements (geometry) and then you mesh the geometry and the mesh elements inherit the physics required. So you should cut up your geometry first, apply physical properties to these "elements" (Domains, boundaries ...) and then mesh it and go on. careful my naming convention here is the v4, it was slightly different in 3.5 -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 28, 2011, 8:19 a.m. EDT
You can also define a spatially varying conductivity using piecewise functions with boundaries coinciding with the elements boundaries.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You can also define a spatially varying conductivity using piecewise functions with boundaries coinciding with the elements boundaries. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 28, 2011, 8:27 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the Reply.

i am not good in using COMSOL. what is did letme explain you again.

1) i make the 2D square model.
2) i Meshed it with square blocks.

Now the problem is i have one subdomain. and i have 16 Mesh elements, so what i want is to assign 4 of that elements to different conductivity and remiaining 12 to different.
Thanks for the Reply. i am not good in using COMSOL. what is did letme explain you again. 1) i make the 2D square model. 2) i Meshed it with square blocks. Now the problem is i have one subdomain. and i have 16 Mesh elements, so what i want is to assign 4 of that elements to different conductivity and remiaining 12 to different.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 28, 2011, 8:42 a.m. EDT
Hi Adnan:

You should first think where the 4 different element is, then draw a geometry to represent it. Then add 2 different material property to corresponding domain. Mesh is the last step.

Vincent
Hi Adnan: You should first think where the 4 different element is, then draw a geometry to represent it. Then add 2 different material property to corresponding domain. Mesh is the last step. Vincent

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.