Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

visualizing far field with solution selections / views

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am simulating an antenna. The antenna is enclosed within 2 spheres: the inner sphere being the far field domain.
Outer sphere is the PML.
I want to plot the 3D radiation pattern on the far field boundaries only. So I used a selection (of the farfield boundaries) under 'solution'. This worked fine. The tool plotted a 3d surface radiation pattern on the far field sphere like i wanted.

However for the sake of reference,I still want to be able to see the geometry of the enclosed antenna. Note I do not want the tool to plot the far field on the interior antenna boundaries. I just want to see them for reference.
In addition to the boundaries selection on the solution, I have tried specifying a custom view using 'view' under the 'plot settings' under the top level 3D plot group tab.
But the 3d plot only shows the far field boundaries (selected by using selections under the solutions under data sets.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Dec 6, 2011, 3:21 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 6, 2011, 3:21 a.m. EST
Hi,

you might want to try the transparency button on the graphics window.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, you might want to try the transparency button on the graphics window. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 6, 2011, 12:47 p.m. EST
Thanks Edgar
However transparency is already turned on. The problem is not that I can't see through the far field sphere.
Rather the antenna inside the sphere is not rendered in the 3d plot if I use 'selections' feature on a solution with selections set to far field boundaries.
For now, to get around this, I have made constructed the 3d plot using 2 duplicate solutions with different selections. 1 solution with selections set to far field boundary the other solution with selection set to antenna boundaries.
This was the antenna is also rendered. However this is inefficient and very time consuming in terms of rendering the plot. I am not interested in seeing the far field solution on the boundaries of the antenna. I only want to the see the far field solution on the far field sphere in a 3d plot along with geometrical edges/surfaces of the antenna.

Hi,

you might want to try the transparency button on the graphics window.

Cheers
Edgar

Thanks Edgar However transparency is already turned on. The problem is not that I can't see through the far field sphere. Rather the antenna inside the sphere is not rendered in the 3d plot if I use 'selections' feature on a solution with selections set to far field boundaries. For now, to get around this, I have made constructed the 3d plot using 2 duplicate solutions with different selections. 1 solution with selections set to far field boundary the other solution with selection set to antenna boundaries. This was the antenna is also rendered. However this is inefficient and very time consuming in terms of rendering the plot. I am not interested in seeing the far field solution on the boundaries of the antenna. I only want to the see the far field solution on the far field sphere in a 3d plot along with geometrical edges/surfaces of the antenna. [QUOTE] Hi, you might want to try the transparency button on the graphics window. Cheers Edgar [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 6, 2011, 3:21 p.m. EST
Hi,

1. in Results-Data Sets, add "Surface". Select all the surfaces you want to see
2. in your plot, add "Surface". For data set, select surfaces you created in step 3. In Expression, put "1".
Hi, 1. in Results-Data Sets, add "Surface". Select all the surfaces you want to see 2. in your plot, add "Surface". For data set, select surfaces you created in step 3. In Expression, put "1".

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.