Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D and 3D boundary pair?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My basic question is how does one match a solution on boundaries between a 2D model and a 3D model? I feel like this was possible on a much older version of COMSOL, but I can't seem to figure it out now.

In detail: I'm working on a simple electrostatic model to solve for the capacitance of a system. The majority of the geometry is rotationally symmetric and is being modeled in 2D (it also has drastic changes in aspect ratio, which 2D is able to handle easily). One surface, however, has radial spoke features that I need to model in 3D. I am currently imposing the "zero charge" condition at the boundaries that I would like to pair and running the 2D and 3D as independent models, but this is not necessarily physically accurate.

0 Replies Last Post Feb 9, 2012, 2:55 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello tedc

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.