Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Oscillating Charged Sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate the E&M fields produced by an oscillating sphere with a fixed surface charge. The sphere's radius is oscillating so that the charge is moving radially. As this charge moves, I'd like to simulate the electric and magnetic fields it produces. To do this, I'm using COMSOL's RF package Electromagnetics module. Although surface current can be defined, I'm not sure how to configure these surface currents to represent a radially oscillating fixed charge. This is easy to do using COMSOL's Electrostatics module but I want to see the E&M fields produced. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 12, 2012, 9:43 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2012, 9:43 a.m. EDT
Hi,

surface current on a sphere won't do the job, it has no radial component. You might try to define a radial current density in spherical shell that results from an outer and a concentric inner sphere representing the oscillation amplitude.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, surface current on a sphere won't do the job, it has no radial component. You might try to define a radial current density in spherical shell that results from an outer and a concentric inner sphere representing the oscillation amplitude. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.