Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic Module Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am just wondering what would cause the damping effect on fluid-structure interaction simulation based on Acoustic and Structure modules. For instance if you run two simulations, one on air and the other on water. You'd see the higher damping effect from frequency response. You can even calculate the damping using Half Power Bandwidth Mehtod. When I run fluid-structure interaction simulation using Acoustic module without adding any damping, I could still see the extra damping effect of water compared to that of air. What caused this? Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post May 22, 2012, 8:56 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hoypoy's Dad

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 21, 2012, 11:51 p.m. EDT
Ivar.... Could you help answering my question?
Ivar.... Could you help answering my question?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2012, 8:56 a.m. EDT
Hi

Sorry i do not have the acoustic module, so I'm not sure what is going on, in there ;)

But you should look up the equations: check the du/dt depedent ones, normally it's the fluid viscuosity that is damping your structure, and I do not see why they should not be there in both FSI and acustics.

On top of that you might add structural or any other sort of matrial damping via the damping node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Sorry i do not have the acoustic module, so I'm not sure what is going on, in there ;) But you should look up the equations: check the du/dt depedent ones, normally it's the fluid viscuosity that is damping your structure, and I do not see why they should not be there in both FSI and acustics. On top of that you might add structural or any other sort of matrial damping via the damping node -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.