Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameter estimation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to determine one parameter k1, which is used over the entire domain. However, objective function values should be compared only at a boundary. According to the Optimization user manual, I think I need to use “least square objective" at a boundary and either “control variable field over the entire domain” or “global control variable”. When I try these, I get an error message of “Incorrect number of coordinates in least-squares objective”. Can I define an objective function at a boundary and use a control variable applied to the entire domain so that the control variable can be evaluated over the entire domain in COMSOL? In the attached model, the Optimization module is used in Study 2.

I contacted technical support and heard that they would post a model example in the future (unscheduled for now). If you know how to do it, please advise. I'd greatly appreciate your help!

6 Replies Last Post Jul 28, 2017, 11:17 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joo-Youp Lee

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 13, 2015, 10:32 a.m. EST

Hello,

I want to determine one parameter k1, which is used over the entire domain. However, objective function values should be compared only at a boundary. According to the Optimization user manual, I think I need to use “least square objective" at a boundary and either “control variable field over the entire domain” or “global control variable”. When I try these, I get an error message of “Incorrect number of coordinates in least-squares objective”. Can I define an objective function at a boundary and use a control variable applied to the entire domain so that the control variable can be evaluated over the entire domain in COMSOL? In the attached model, the Optimization module is used in Study 2.

I contacted technical support and heard that they would post a model example in the future (unscheduled for now). If you know how to do it, please advise. I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Hi,

Did you manage to overcome this error? I get the exact same. Thanks
[QUOTE] Hello, I want to determine one parameter k1, which is used over the entire domain. However, objective function values should be compared only at a boundary. According to the Optimization user manual, I think I need to use “least square objective" at a boundary and either “control variable field over the entire domain” or “global control variable”. When I try these, I get an error message of “Incorrect number of coordinates in least-squares objective”. Can I define an objective function at a boundary and use a control variable applied to the entire domain so that the control variable can be evaluated over the entire domain in COMSOL? In the attached model, the Optimization module is used in Study 2. I contacted technical support and heard that they would post a model example in the future (unscheduled for now). If you know how to do it, please advise. I'd greatly appreciate your help! [/QUOTE] Hi, Did you manage to overcome this error? I get the exact same. Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 13, 2015, 12:37 p.m. EST
Well, unfortunately, not yet. I have not heard any update from tech support, either.
Well, unfortunately, not yet. I have not heard any update from tech support, either.

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 7, 2015, 11:55 a.m. EST

Hello,
I was having the same problem, and found out the way to solve it. I was using the point least square objective, and I was selecting a point in the geometry and giving it the temperature (which was measured in the lab). Apparently it was not enough to click on the point of evaluation, it actually needed the coordinates for the point where the temp was measured, in my case, a whole set of zeroes for every time dependent data point my measurements had. This requires then to add Coordinate columns for x and y (my model is 2D) and assigned the a zeros column to those coordinate columns.

--
Nat
Hello, I was having the same problem, and found out the way to solve it. I was using the point least square objective, and I was selecting a point in the geometry and giving it the temperature (which was measured in the lab). Apparently it was not enough to click on the point of evaluation, it actually needed the coordinates for the point where the temp was measured, in my case, a whole set of zeroes for every time dependent data point my measurements had. This requires then to add Coordinate columns for x and y (my model is 2D) and assigned the a zeros column to those coordinate columns. -- Nat

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 7, 2015, 8:31 p.m. EST
Hello Nat,

Thank you for your kind message with all the details. I also recently learned the technique from COMSOL tech support. When I first contacted them back in 2012, they did not reply. When I contacted them with a similar question several months ago, I could hear the same answer as yours.

I appreciate you kindly share what you learned.

Regards,
Joo-Youp
Hello Nat, Thank you for your kind message with all the details. I also recently learned the technique from COMSOL tech support. When I first contacted them back in 2012, they did not reply. When I contacted them with a similar question several months ago, I could hear the same answer as yours. I appreciate you kindly share what you learned. Regards, Joo-Youp

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 21, 2017, 10:24 p.m. EDT
Hi Nat,

Thank you so much. I get this problem also. I am going to give up until I see you reply. Thank you so much

Jiaqing
Hi Nat, Thank you so much. I get this problem also. I am going to give up until I see you reply. Thank you so much Jiaqing

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 28, 2017, 11:17 a.m. EDT
Following up on what is said by Nat,

You will need to add coordinate columns (1 for 1D, 2 for 2D and 3 for 3D) in the data file as well as in the Least square Objective interface (right click).
Following up on what is said by Nat, You will need to add coordinate columns (1 for 1D, 2 for 2D and 3 for 3D) in the data file as well as in the Least square Objective interface (right click).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.