Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Airfoil in Air using FSI

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to compute an FSI simulation of an airfoil with a constant wind flowing from the right to the left with slip wall condition. The model will converge if the Re number is low (less than 10^5). As I increase my Re, the model will not converge. In additional, my inlet ramp flow velocity will need to be increase very slowly before it reaches constant. I am wondering if there is something wrong in my setup? Or, can FSI be used for high Re.

I am wondering if anybody can point me to the right direction.

Thanks a million in advance!

Ting

3 Replies Last Post May 22, 2012, 1:19 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 17, 2012, 2:16 a.m. EDT
Hi

welcome to CFD ;)
You need to adapt your physics to the conditions of your model, laminar flow is only valid to Reynolds numer of a few thousands, your mesh density I would say the same (and the cell Reynolds number is related to your mesh and not to the geoemtry directly).

high speed turbulent flow requires very fine mesh and loooong solving times. Check a few books on fluid dynamics it's a fascinating domain ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi welcome to CFD ;) You need to adapt your physics to the conditions of your model, laminar flow is only valid to Reynolds numer of a few thousands, your mesh density I would say the same (and the cell Reynolds number is related to your mesh and not to the geoemtry directly). high speed turbulent flow requires very fine mesh and loooong solving times. Check a few books on fluid dynamics it's a fascinating domain ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 21, 2012, 6:51 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you very much for your advice! Let me see if I understand it. At first, I was thinking the FSI is for MEMS only, so it is actually about my flow and my mesh. I can still use the FSI even my my model is not small. Is that right?

In additional, do you have any books that you recommend? Or Any fluid dynamics will be fine!

Thanks!

Ting
Hi Ivar, Thank you very much for your advice! Let me see if I understand it. At first, I was thinking the FSI is for MEMS only, so it is actually about my flow and my mesh. I can still use the FSI even my my model is not small. Is that right? In additional, do you have any books that you recommend? Or Any fluid dynamics will be fine! Thanks! Ting

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2012, 1:19 a.m. EDT
Hi

there is no scale limitation in the FSi physics, at least from what I know about, but FSI is rather for flexible "solid" within a fluid flow, if your airfoil is "solid" or hardly deforming you might not need FSI

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is no scale limitation in the FSi physics, at least from what I know about, but FSI is rather for flexible "solid" within a fluid flow, if your airfoil is "solid" or hardly deforming you might not need FSI -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.