Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating Metamaterial with Electronic Components

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate a metamaterial unit cell to reach with a magnetic field dominant EM field. To make it work in the megahertz range, we plan to use a SMD inductor and capacitor of appropriate values. I'm using the RF module and lumped elements to simulate the inductor/capacitor. I don't know how to setup the perfect electric conductor and/or perfect magentic conductors conditions to make it work.

I've attached a photo but ommited the surrounding box to make the image more clear. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post May 29, 2021, 5:31 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago May 26, 2021, 2:59 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago May 26, 2021, 3:00 p.m. EDT
  1. I don't see any attachment. Please try again?
  2. I encourage you to post your .mph model, also.
  3. In regard to defining PEC and PMC conditions, you can usually right-click on "Boundaries" and choose them from a list. This is done in the same way as assigning other boundary conditions in Comsol Multiphysics. If you are new to that, I encourage you to work through some of the tutorials. See the snapshot attached.
  4. Now, if by some chance your question was not about knowing how to use Comsol's interface to assign those boundary conditions, but rather that you don't know (or are unsure) which surfaces you should assign as PMC and PEC, well, unfortunately that's entirely for you to figure out. Remember, the code (along with your computer) is merely a mindless machine; ultimately, you have to tell it what to do.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. I don't see any attachment. Please try again? 2. I encourage you to post your .mph model, also. 3. In regard to defining PEC and PMC conditions, you can usually right-click on "Boundaries" and choose them from a list. This is done in the same way as assigning other boundary conditions in Comsol Multiphysics. If you are new to that, I encourage you to work through some of the tutorials. See the snapshot attached. 4. Now, if by some chance your question was not about knowing how to use Comsol's interface to assign those boundary conditions, but rather that you don't *know* (or are unsure) which surfaces you *should* assign as PMC and PEC, well, unfortunately that's entirely for *you* to figure out. Remember, the code (along with your computer) is merely a mindless machine; ultimately, you have to tell it what to do.

Posted: 3 years ago May 29, 2021, 5:31 p.m. EDT

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry, I found out I was not allowed to post an image after I started the post. I worked through some of the tutorials as you suggested and managed to figure out the issue. Thanks again.

Hi Robert, Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry, I found out I was not allowed to post an image after I started the post. I worked through some of the tutorials as you suggested and managed to figure out the issue. Thanks again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.