Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulate the lightning strike on a drone

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello I have a drone model and I want to measure the electric field that is occurring from the lightning strikes on it. The lightning is represented by a standard impulse voltage 1.2/50us. I used the analytic function to represent the shape of this impulse. But how can I inject this equation through the drone?

4 Replies Last Post Jun 2, 2021, 5:53 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 10:50 a.m. EDT

You can use the function to define a boundary condition on the drone. This will look different depending on the application module you are using.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You can use the function to define a boundary condition on the drone. This will look different depending on the application module you are using.

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 1:17 p.m. EDT

Thank you for your response. when I run the program it gives me an undefined variable (V) error I don't know where is the problem. And I am using electric currents physics can you tell me please what is the appropriate boundary condition?

Thank you for your response. when I run the program it gives me an undefined variable (V) error I don't know where is the problem. And I am using electric currents physics can you tell me please what is the appropriate boundary condition?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 2:01 p.m. EDT

Sounds like you have domains with zero conductivity while ec needs a small conductivity also in insulators such as air. I guess you would apply a potential BC to the drone, no?

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Sounds like you have domains with zero conductivity while ec needs a small conductivity also in insulators such as air. I guess you would apply a potential BC to the drone, no?

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 2, 2021, 5:53 a.m. EDT

I used the terminal boundary condition then I defined the impulse voltage equation without errors. Unfortunately, the electric field is zero everywhere.

I used the terminal boundary condition then I defined the impulse voltage equation without errors. Unfortunately, the electric field is zero everywhere.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.