Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anybody know how to couple two physics on comsol like Magnetic field and Structural mechanics after having solved each separately or is there anyway to solve both simultaneosly?
Thanks

4 Replies Last Post Jul 8, 2012, 7:47 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2012, 1:17 p.m. EDT
Hi

not after having solver both, but once you solve one, you can use the results for the unknown variables in the second, just you must decide for which to start, and if they are closely coupled it might not be enough to iterate only once

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not after having solver both, but once you solve one, you can use the results for the unknown variables in the second, just you must decide for which to start, and if they are closely coupled it might not be enough to iterate only once -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2012, 4:59 p.m. EDT
Thanks for the help Ivar, but you know I thought it was only the magnetic field which is needed to solve the structural mechanics part and then I realized that the magnetic field gradient should be included if have to use the product of both as a force and use this force to solve the structural mechanics part and i have been trying to plot the gradient but i couldn't so i was hoping you could help me once again!!

Thanks
Esayas
Thanks for the help Ivar, but you know I thought it was only the magnetic field which is needed to solve the structural mechanics part and then I realized that the magnetic field gradient should be included if have to use the product of both as a force and use this force to solve the structural mechanics part and i have been trying to plot the gradient but i couldn't so i was hoping you could help me once again!! Thanks Esayas

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 8, 2012, 4:19 a.m. EDT
Hi

So couple both.
But select your physics accordingly, if your solid remains static then the B field should not be influenced by any mesh motion effects (no nead for ALE) but some iron might saturate so they might be coupled this way.
If the solid will flex and move, you need to do something like the electromechannism "ale" "solid" & "MF" (instead of ES or EC) and calculate both physics together

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi So couple both. But select your physics accordingly, if your solid remains static then the B field should not be influenced by any mesh motion effects (no nead for ALE) but some iron might saturate so they might be coupled this way. If the solid will flex and move, you need to do something like the electromechannism "ale" "solid" & "MF" (instead of ES or EC) and calculate both physics together -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 8, 2012, 7:47 a.m. EDT
Hey Thanks Again, but befroe coupling I wanna plot the magnetic field gradient then the rest to follow!! So I need help on how to plot the magnetic field dradient!!

Thanks
Esayas
Hey Thanks Again, but befroe coupling I wanna plot the magnetic field gradient then the rest to follow!! So I need help on how to plot the magnetic field dradient!! Thanks Esayas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.