Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modal analysis of structure in fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I want to make a modal analysis of block (size:0.5*0.05*0.02) in water (not in the air which is default study).
But i don't know if comsol have already this option or we should improvise.

thks

3 Replies Last Post Jul 8, 2012, 5:30 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2012, 10:20 p.m. EDT
Hi Ben,

I have a similar problem, not exactly same though. I am trying to look at the effect of filling a hollow channel with liquid on its resonance frequency. However, when I try to use water as the fluid medium, the software asks me for the Young's modulus and Poison's ratio of water. I am stuck here. If you are able to find any solution to your porblem that can help me as well.

-Sankha
Hi Ben, I have a similar problem, not exactly same though. I am trying to look at the effect of filling a hollow channel with liquid on its resonance frequency. However, when I try to use water as the fluid medium, the software asks me for the Young's modulus and Poison's ratio of water. I am stuck here. If you are able to find any solution to your porblem that can help me as well. -Sankha

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 8, 2012, 4:15 a.m. EDT
Hi

structural physics uses the Lagrange representation and is best suited for solids, fluids uses mostly the Eulerian representation, so when you mix structure and fluid the FSI physics is better suited, allthough if you are "filling" a volume it could be that some level set method mixed with solid wouth fit even better

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi structural physics uses the Lagrange representation and is best suited for solids, fluids uses mostly the Eulerian representation, so when you mix structure and fluid the FSI physics is better suited, allthough if you are "filling" a volume it could be that some level set method mixed with solid wouth fit even better -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 8, 2012, 5:30 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar,

Thanks for your help. The problem with FSI physics is that the software asks for dynamic viscosity of the solid domain. On the other hand 'Fixed' boundary condition can't be defined as well.

When Solid Mechanics physics is used, COMSOL asks for Young's modulus and Poison's ratio of the liquid!

Please guide us about how to tackle these issues.

Thanks,

Sankha
Hello Ivar, Thanks for your help. The problem with FSI physics is that the software asks for dynamic viscosity of the solid domain. On the other hand 'Fixed' boundary condition can't be defined as well. When Solid Mechanics physics is used, COMSOL asks for Young's modulus and Poison's ratio of the liquid! Please guide us about how to tackle these issues. Thanks, Sankha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.