Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can someone help me understand this error?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need help understanding the cause of the following error:

"Failed to compute elastoplastic strain variables"

I have received this error numerous times in a few different structural models where I am using soil or concrete plasticity, and I'm not sure the cause of it. I've been able to fix it by trying different meshes, solvers, loading conditions, etc. but it's kindof a "throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks" approach. I really don't know what causes it, so I don't know how to fix it. I haven't been able to find anything in the included manuals about it either. Does anyone know what the likely source of this error is and what can be done to fix it? Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post Nov 16, 2012, 4:15 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2012, 1:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have never seen that one, but I'm not usig often elastoplastic strain variables (at least no on purpose ;) But have you tried to analyse the component of the elastoplastic strain tensor in the "equations" domain and checked that your variables defining this property are really defined, for me it looks like a material property issue.

Else you have "support that might help" if you sen them your model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have never seen that one, but I'm not usig often elastoplastic strain variables (at least no on purpose ;) But have you tried to analyse the component of the elastoplastic strain tensor in the "equations" domain and checked that your variables defining this property are really defined, for me it looks like a material property issue. Else you have "support that might help" if you sen them your model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 21, 2012, 4:11 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I had the same problem before. Normally it is that the solver can't find the initial value that is inside your yield criteria and therefor fails.
Have you tried to change the settings for the dependent variables?
I normally create a initial condition stage first with a LE material and use the stresses from that stage, that normally works well for me.

/Mats
Hi, I had the same problem before. Normally it is that the solver can't find the initial value that is inside your yield criteria and therefor fails. Have you tried to change the settings for the dependent variables? I normally create a initial condition stage first with a LE material and use the stresses from that stage, that normally works well for me. /Mats

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 16, 2012, 4:15 a.m. EST
We have created a Knowledgebase entry for this error message, please click the link below for further information:
www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1150/

Anders Ekerot, COMSOL
We have created a Knowledgebase entry for this error message, please click the link below for further information: http://www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1150/ Anders Ekerot, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.