Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The transient model reaches steady state

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,now I have a question. Can the comsol transient model control the time to reach the steady state? If the time for a transient model to reach the steady state is known, the time for the steady state is known according to the Analytical expression.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 20, 2023, 10:44 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 20, 2023, 10:44 a.m. EDT

I encourage you to re-word your question. 1. In transient physical processes, the "time to reach steady state," assuming such a state ever occurs, is established by the physics, i.e., the laws of the universe. Thus, a Comsol model may help to compute or reveal this to you in some case of interest, but it cannot "control" it. Comsol Multiphysics models physics. It does not control physics. 2. "If the time for a transient model to reach the steady state is known..." then... no, it does not logically follow that it is known in accordance with some analytic expression. Although many processes in the universe can be understood via analytic expressions, some cannot. See, for some dramatic examples, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory . Partial differential equations, which express much of the physics usually modeled with Comsol Multiphysics, often do not have analytic solutions. That's why we need numerical models.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I encourage you to re-word your question. 1. In transient physical processes, the "time to reach steady state," assuming such a state ever occurs, is established by the physics, i.e., the laws of the universe. Thus, a Comsol model may help to compute or reveal this to you in some case of interest, but it cannot "control" it. Comsol Multiphysics *models* physics. It does not *control* physics. 2. "If the time for a transient model to reach the steady state is known..." then... no, it does *not* logically follow that it is known in accordance with some *analytic* expression. Although many processes in the universe can be understood via analytic expressions, some cannot. See, for some dramatic examples, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory . Partial differential equations, which express much of the physics usually modeled with Comsol Multiphysics, often do not have analytic solutions. That's why we need numerical models.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.