Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laser-induced heating of thin film structures

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, guys. I am the very new user who started using comsol few days ago.

I am trying to simulate the temperature distribution of thin film multilayer structure under laser heating with 2d axisymmetric geometry. I can successfully formulate the heating effect at each layer.

However, I got the problem during the meshing. The thickness of each layer is under 1 nm (smallest one with 0.1 nm), and the thickness of the wafer is mm-scale.

Due to significant difference in the scale of the thickness, it is hard to mesh the boundaries.

I hope to know whether there exists the similar reference, or sample exists, or there exists a methods to reduce the size with any boundary conditions.

Thank you in advance.

Jaeyu

2 Replies Last Post Oct 6, 2023, 11:46 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 months ago Oct 6, 2023, 4:53 a.m. EDT

Dear Jaeyu Kim

I recommend you to use thin layer feature. Please see the following link. You can see how this functionality works for modeling thin structure

https://www.comsol.com/model/composite-thermal-barrier-13723

Sincerely Junseong Lee.

Dear Jaeyu Kim I recommend you to use thin layer feature. Please see the following link. You can see how this functionality works for modeling thin structure >> https://www.comsol.com/model/composite-thermal-barrier-13723 Sincerely Junseong Lee.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 months ago Oct 6, 2023, 11:46 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 months ago Oct 6, 2023, 11:46 a.m. EDT

I recommend you to use thin layer feature.

Depending on the geometry a swept mesh is another option.

>I recommend you to use thin layer feature. Depending on the geometry a swept mesh is another option.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.