Boundary Conditions for Hygroscopic Deformation in Composite?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to simulate the longitudinal deformation in a Glass Reinforced Epoxy material in accordance to the graph attched below. I am not sure about as to what boundary conditions must be applied so as to observe the similar graph for longitudinal deformation at a cutline of z=35mm. Could anyone help me with the boundary conditions?

I have attched my current simulation of the epoxy material.

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post Oct 31, 2023, 2:56 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 months ago Oct 31, 2023, 2:56 p.m. EDT
Updated: 6 months ago Nov 2, 2023, 9:36 a.m. EDT

Hello Hamza,

Your question is unusual in that you seem to know what part of the solution is and are asking what the assumptions in the model should be to yield that partial solution; an inverse problem. This makes me think that you are perhaps trying to replicate work done by others, a paper maybe? Since there is not a unique set of boundary conditions that a partial solution can be traced back to, your question unfortunately does not have a unique answer: you could come up with several sets of boundary conditions all consistent with the known partial solution. My best advice would be to contact the authors of the work you are trying to replicate; they should be able to tell you what BCs they used. Short of that, you may be able to deduce some reasonable guesses from the rest of the paper and try them out.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Hamza, Your question is unusual in that you seem to know what part of the solution is and are asking what the assumptions in the model should be to yield that partial solution; an inverse problem. This makes me think that you are perhaps trying to replicate work done by others, a paper maybe? Since there is not a unique set of boundary conditions that a partial solution can be traced back to, your question unfortunately does not have a unique answer: you could come up with several sets of boundary conditions all consistent with the known partial solution. My best advice would be to contact the authors of the work you are trying to replicate; they should be able to tell you what BCs they used. Short of that, you may be able to deduce some reasonable guesses from the rest of the paper and try them out. Best regards, Jeff

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.