Designing GHz/THz Antenna for Simulating Electric Fields around a Micro-device: Issues with RF Module & Single Electrode Excitation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, everybody. I'm currently working on a project involving the design of an antenna operating in GHz or THz frequencies to simulate the electric field around a microchip(I need electric field to interact with charged particle). This microchip operates with an alternating voltage using a sawtooth signal ranging from 0 to 10 V, displaying a changing positive potential over time. Initially, I utilized the electrostatics and electrocurrent modules in a time-dependent study. However, it seems that these physics modules do not fully account for the propagation of electromagnetic waves, which travel at the speed of light. Consequently, I've switched to the RF module, which is better suited for GHz and THz frequencies. However, I've encountered two main issues:

1) In contrast to electrostatics, where we define potential on electrodes through terminals, in the RF module, it's only possible to excite the system through a lumped port located between two poles. How can I design a configuration with just one electrode excited by an AC voltage, similar to a monopole antenna with a single circular-shaped electrode?

2) In electrostatics (and electrocurrent), it's possible to excite an electrode using waveforms (e.g., sawtooth or triangular signals) in the time domain. Unfortunately, I couldn't find similar options within the RF module. I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice in solving these issues. Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 23, 2023, 4:38 p.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 months ago Nov 23, 2023, 11:02 a.m. EST

Hi,

it is possible to do time domain studies in the RF module. Regarding excitation, also so-called monopole antennas are excited against a ground plane. Actually there is no such thing as a monopole antenna. In your model you need to find the reference boundaries, your so-called monopole is to be excited against. There are antenna examples in the application library.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, it is possible to do time domain studies in the RF module. Regarding excitation, also so-called monopole antennas are excited against a ground plane. Actually there is no such thing as a monopole antenna. In your model you need to find the reference boundaries, your so-called monopole is to be excited against. There are antenna examples in the application library. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 months ago Nov 23, 2023, 4:38 p.m. EST

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful. Best

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful. Best

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.