Challenges in Simulating Reflectance of Glass and Silver Layers at Sub-120 nm Scale

Collins Kariuki Computational Physics (Sustainability)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings,

I'm working on modeling the reflectance versus wavelength for a structure composed of glass and silver, with glass as the substrate. I've encountered a challenge in COMSOL when setting the thickness of my silver layer to 120 nm, as the software prompts me with "Minimal Layer Thickness is 1.0E-4m." Could you advise on how I can accurately represent the silver layer at 120 nm in my model, to faithfully replicate the actual structure observed in our lab? I've attached the mph file for closer examination.

Additionally, I'm curious if the inability to model the silver layer accurately at 120 nm might explain why my simulations show a reflectance close to 88% across most wavelengths, when I anticipate a reflectance of at least 95% with silver.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 18, 2024, 2:04 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Collins Kariuki

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.