Coil heating simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have been trying to model the following: the coil with ~ 100 windings where I pass the current and see how it heats up due to Joule heating. I try to use HEAT FLUX function where I estimate heat transfer coefficient between surronding air and wire material(copper). The challenge I am facing is following:

I can't make 100 or so windings if I just define helix in geometry(takes too much computational power), so instead I decided to create hollow cylinder and define it as homogenized multi-turn circular coil with proper parameters. However, when I run the simulation(I am running stationary case), the temperature of the coil always gets down(goes up) to external temperature defined in HEAT FLUX. As I understood from multiple tries, circular current defined in the coil doesn't produce and heat in the simulation, hence coil warms up(cools down) to external temperature.

The only way I managed to get it working is to define helix and define ground and terminal on it(through electric currents branch). However as I mentioned I can't make ~100 windings in that setup.

To sum it up, what is the way to calculate Joule heating in the coil(with ~100 or more windings) that has been defined through Magnetic Fields --> coil function?

I greatly appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thank you so much for your help!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.