Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics using deformed result of solid mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am new to COMSOL, using version 4.1 to simulate a flexible capacitor. The goal is to have the geometry deformed using a Solid Mechanics simulation (which I have done) then simulate the behaviour of the capacitor in Electrostatics.

I can't work out how to combine the two steps sequentially. Should they be separate Study Steps? If so, how do I pass the deformed mesh from one step to the next?

Thanks for your help!

4 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2013, 3:12 p.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2013, 1:20 p.m. EDT
Tom,

You need to add ALE interface to model electromechanical coupling. There is example in the Comsol model library for electromagnetic and structural coupling:

www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/4461/

Regards,
Sergei
Tom, You need to add ALE interface to model electromechanical coupling. There is example in the Comsol model library for electromagnetic and structural coupling: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/4461/ Regards, Sergei

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2013, 1:23 p.m. EDT
Hi

if you combine ALE + Solid+ ES you can get a combined pyiscs to solve together (there should be some examples in the model library, used to be though)

another way is to run solid (on the solid part), save the defomed geoemtry aa a new mesh and solve with ES, but you need to be sure you have the "air part" there so ES can solve. Then you solve one and thereafter the second, stating that you deform your physics in "solid" and the ES gives you independently the capacity for the deformed solid

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you combine ALE + Solid+ ES you can get a combined pyiscs to solve together (there should be some examples in the model library, used to be though) another way is to run solid (on the solid part), save the defomed geoemtry aa a new mesh and solve with ES, but you need to be sure you have the "air part" there so ES can solve. Then you solve one and thereafter the second, stating that you deform your physics in "solid" and the ES gives you independently the capacity for the deformed solid -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2013, 12:03 p.m. EDT
Ivar, Sergei,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have made a successful combined model using ALE+Solid+ES.
Unfortunately, it only solves for small deformations - if I increase the deformation then COMSOL crashes when trying to solve. Do you know what can cause this or how I can avoid it?
Ivar, Sergei, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have made a successful combined model using ALE+Solid+ES. Unfortunately, it only solves for small deformations - if I increase the deformation then COMSOL crashes when trying to solve. Do you know what can cause this or how I can avoid it?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2013, 3:12 p.m. EDT
Hi

it could be that you need to turn on the remeshing feature for the ALE, and if your solid deformes greatlely, then the non linear geoemtry sovler could be useful to turn on (solver node for Solid). But it could be other things too (mesh density, overlapping or topology change ...
oops not sure remeshing existing back in 4.1, definitively it is there now in 4.3a

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it could be that you need to turn on the remeshing feature for the ALE, and if your solid deformes greatlely, then the non linear geoemtry sovler could be useful to turn on (solver node for Solid). But it could be other things too (mesh density, overlapping or topology change ... oops not sure remeshing existing back in 4.1, definitively it is there now in 4.3a -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.