Can Pressure Acoustics represent shear wave propagation in a fluid-filled cavity coupled to a poroelastic solid? (COMSOL 6.4)

Marina Burgos Martín

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modeling a 3D block of poroelastic material (Poroelastic Waves interface) with two rectangular cavities inside it, and I want to fill the cavities with a fluid that simulates water. The cavities are supposed to be inside the solid block.

Current setup Solid block and PML: Poroelastic Waves (pelw). Fluid cavities: Pressure Acoustics, Frequency Domain (acpr), coupled to the solid through an Acoustic–Porous Boundary multiphysics coupling on the cavity walls. Excitation: Prescribed Displacement on the top and bottom faces, in the x-direction only (u0). The faces are horizontal, so the motion is tangential to them, which makes it a shear-type excitation.

My concern My goal is to see how a shear wave propagates through the solid and into the fluid. Pressure Acoustics is an inviscid formulation with a scalar pressure field, so as far as I understand it only supports compressional waves and only responds to the normal component of boundary motion. Since my shaker motion is tangential to the top face, I suspect the fluid is only excited indirectly, through the cavity walls, and that Pressure Acoustics cannot carry shear waves inside the fluid at all.

Questions

Is Pressure Acoustics the right choice for the fluid if the physics I care about is shear-wave propagation, or is it fundamentally unable to represent it? If it isn't, what is the recommended approach for the fluid regions? For example: Thermoviscous Acoustics (to include viscous effects at the interfaces), Linear Elastic / Viscoelastic material with a very low shear modulus, if the fluid is gel-like, a fully coupled fluid–structure formulation. Whichever interface is used, which multiphysics coupling should connect it to the Poroelastic Waves domain? Is it physically reasonable to expect meaningful shear-wave transmission into a fluid, or should I expect it to be strongly attenuated or not transmitted at all?

I'd appreciate any guidance, or a pointer to an application in the Application Library that treats something similar. I can attach the .mph file and screenshots of the geometry and physics tree if that helps.

Thank you!


Reply

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.