EMAT webinar example reproduction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am trying to reproduce the electromagnetic acoustic transducer example presented in this webinar : https://www.comsol.com/video/modeling-nondestructive-testing-methods-in-comsol-multiphysics I do not have access to the comsol file so I have reproduced the file from the video. The results are not adequate and I do not really know what is causing that : the solid mechanics quantities such as displacement are 0 everywhere. I am not used to multiphysics problems in comsol.

I have attached my file if needed.

Sarah



2 Replies Last Post Oct 10, 2026, 7:09 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 12 hours ago Oct 9, 2026, 9:10 p.m. EDT

The problem is that your bias magnet isn't magnetic. Try changing the Magnetization Model to Magnetization and set a nonzero magnetization value in the z direction. (There may be better ways to specify this but I don't know EMATs well enough to say).

The problem is that your bias magnet isn't magnetic. Try changing the Magnetization Model to Magnetization and set a nonzero magnetization value in the z direction. (There may be better ways to specify this but I don't know EMATs well enough to say).

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 hours ago Oct 10, 2026, 7:09 a.m. EDT

Hi David,

Thank you very much, that was exactly the problem ! I clearly needed an outside perspective ;) As I was trying to reproduce exactly the tutorial, I followed this way but I also tried using the magnet feature of Magnetic Fields. It works if you disable the magnet feature when computing the frequency domain step.

Sarah

Hi David, Thank you very much, that was exactly the problem ! I clearly needed an outside perspective ;) As I was trying to reproduce exactly the tutorial, I followed this way but I also tried using the magnet feature of Magnetic Fields. It works if you disable the magnet feature when computing the frequency domain step. Sarah

Reply

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.