Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Curved tube

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to achieve a rather simple task and am unable to find a way to do it in COMSOL. I would like to draw a curved 3D tube (with angle alpha). This is a task I would usually expect to be solved by a command like extrude 2D shape along a predefined path, but I just can't find any command to do this. Has anyone ever tried this and found a way? Thank you so much for your help.

Franz

8 Replies Last Post Aug 25, 2010, 9:53 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2010, 1:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

You have the 2D draw "extrude" and "revolve", for which you can "twist" and define an external rotation axis respectively, a simple illustration is given below. Start from a 2D and itwill create your 3D Geom at will

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi You have the 2D draw "extrude" and "revolve", for which you can "twist" and define an external rotation axis respectively, a simple illustration is given below. Start from a 2D and itwill create your 3D Geom at will Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2010, 4:05 a.m. EDT
Dear Ivan,

thank you for your response. I can't find where/hoqw to define an external axis for the revolution of extrusion.
Thank you.

Franz
Dear Ivan, thank you for your response. I can't find where/hoqw to define an external axis for the revolution of extrusion. Thank you. Franz

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2010, 4:41 a.m. EDT
Hi

you should see something like this, no ?

Ivar
Hi you should see something like this, no ? Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2010, 4:50 a.m. EDT
Hi,

ahhh, now I understand what you mean by "external" axis. Of course, that is a possibility of doing this. Sorry, I just did not think about it that way. I was looking for something like the extrude along path thing. Ok, I see I can solve this particular problem like this, thankl you very much for pointing my head in the right direction; but what would I do if I need a more complex path? I mean do I have to basically split it into several tiny pieces and cunstruct it in this manner?
Thanks again,
Franz
Hi, ahhh, now I understand what you mean by "external" axis. Of course, that is a possibility of doing this. Sorry, I just did not think about it that way. I was looking for something like the extrude along path thing. Ok, I see I can solve this particular problem like this, thankl you very much for pointing my head in the right direction; but what would I do if I need a more complex path? I mean do I have to basically split it into several tiny pieces and cunstruct it in this manner? Thanks again, Franz

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2010, 5:41 a.m. EDT
Hi

Comsol internal CAD is rather basic, but still you can achieve fancy things, as you can use functions in several entries, or you need togo to matlab. Personally I mostly use the CAD interface with SolidWorks, eithr linked or via parasolid files

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Comsol internal CAD is rather basic, but still you can achieve fancy things, as you can use functions in several entries, or you need togo to matlab. Personally I mostly use the CAD interface with SolidWorks, eithr linked or via parasolid files Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 23, 2010, 8:00 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I wish to extrude a 3D tube along the trajectory defined by the points below. Each of the 12 points is defined by (x,y,z). How do I achieve this?

Thanks!

0.81 -2.36 1.32
0.86 -1.77 1.26
1.07 -1.59 1.06
1.28 -1.24 0.93
1.15 -0.27 0.84
0.97 0.21 1.02
0.68 0.51 1.09
0.31 0.74 1.26
-0.51 0.82 1.78
-0.83 0.63 2.04
-0.84 0.12 2.36
-0.69 -0.31 2.48

Hi Ivar, I wish to extrude a 3D tube along the trajectory defined by the points below. Each of the 12 points is defined by (x,y,z). How do I achieve this? Thanks! 0.81 -2.36 1.32 0.86 -1.77 1.26 1.07 -1.59 1.06 1.28 -1.24 0.93 1.15 -0.27 0.84 0.97 0.21 1.02 0.68 0.51 1.09 0.31 0.74 1.26 -0.51 0.82 1.78 -0.83 0.63 2.04 -0.84 0.12 2.36 -0.69 -0.31 2.48

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 23, 2010, 3:48 p.m. EDT
Hi

you have a tricky question there. "My way" would be to make it as a spline axis in SolidWorks, but I'm sure it's possible in COMSOL too probably with some help from matlab, but I'm not sure what to propose there, certainly not in V4. Sorry cannot do better this time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have a tricky question there. "My way" would be to make it as a spline axis in SolidWorks, but I'm sure it's possible in COMSOL too probably with some help from matlab, but I'm not sure what to propose there, certainly not in V4. Sorry cannot do better this time -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 25, 2010, 9:53 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I have tackled the problem with assistance from Matlab! Thanks. I now encounter a problem when trying to intersect my tube with another geometry. I want to find the difference between the 2 but comsol comes up with the following error:

"Error_in_parameter_domain_topological_analysis"

Any idea on the cause?

Tiaan
Hi, I have tackled the problem with assistance from Matlab! Thanks. I now encounter a problem when trying to intersect my tube with another geometry. I want to find the difference between the 2 but comsol comes up with the following error: "Error_in_parameter_domain_topological_analysis" Any idea on the cause? Tiaan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.