Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem in meshing small structures

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have waveguide whose length is 70 um, textured with periodic gratings (square pattern) having height gradually varying from one amstrong to one nanometer. Apparently, this is causing problems for the mesh generator and it always gives me the error in advancing front mesher. Any tips on how to get around this problem?

Ideally, I would like a way out in which mesh density is increased only around the grating and not the whole computational field of view so as to keep the computational burden from unnecessarily increasing.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Jul 13, 2010, 9:15 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 30, 2010, 11:05 a.m. EDT
Just to add the error message I am getting. Note that the coordinate point being mentioned is approximately the same point where groove starts and it is hence a (unrounded) corner

Exception:
com.femlab.jni.FlNativeException: Internal error advancing front mesher

Failed to generate mesh for subdomain
- Subdomain: 1

Stack trace:
at afmesh.cpp, row 424, (No candidate point found near (5.22661e-06, -5.41484e-08))
at mesh2init.cpp, row 1116, ()
at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Native Method)
at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.mesh.MeshInitRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.server.FlRunner.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.i.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.ae.run(Unknown Source)
Just to add the error message I am getting. Note that the coordinate point being mentioned is approximately the same point where groove starts and it is hence a (unrounded) corner Exception: com.femlab.jni.FlNativeException: Internal error advancing front mesher Messages: Internal error advancing front mesher Failed to generate mesh for subdomain - Subdomain: 1 Stack trace: at afmesh.cpp, row 424, (No candidate point found near (5.22661e-06, -5.41484e-08)) at mesh2init.cpp, row 1116, () at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Native Method) at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Unknown Source) at com.femlab.mesh.MeshInitRunnable.run(Unknown Source) at com.femlab.server.FlRunner.run(Unknown Source) at com.femlab.util.i.run(Unknown Source) at com.femlab.util.ae.run(Unknown Source)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 12, 2010, 1:47 p.m. EDT
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem :(...
Did you succeed to find any solution to your problem?

Thanks a lot!
Hello, I have exactly the same problem :(... Did you succeed to find any solution to your problem? Thanks a lot!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 13, 2010, 9:15 a.m. EDT
A bit, not what I wanted on the whole though.

In 3.5, go to free mesh parameters (press F9). Switch to Subdomain tab, select the subdomains you want to mesh and then select option "Triangle" in method field. You will need to specify other two entries about maximum element size and growth rate. I don't remember exactly their significance so either read in the manual or just set the growth rate to 1 and intuitively set something for maximum mesh size. Now press the "mesh selected" button and that will do the job without using advancing front mesh algorithm which was giving you error.

This way you could mesh the whole of your geometry quite comfortably, I hope.

All the best
A bit, not what I wanted on the whole though. In 3.5, go to free mesh parameters (press F9). Switch to Subdomain tab, select the subdomains you want to mesh and then select option "Triangle" in method field. You will need to specify other two entries about maximum element size and growth rate. I don't remember exactly their significance so either read in the manual or just set the growth rate to 1 and intuitively set something for maximum mesh size. Now press the "mesh selected" button and that will do the job without using advancing front mesh algorithm which was giving you error. This way you could mesh the whole of your geometry quite comfortably, I hope. All the best

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.