Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PEM water electrolyzer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to model a proton exchange membrane water electrolyzer in comsol (3D model) to understand mass transport inside the electrolyzer cell.

I am new to comsol.

I was hoping if someone could tell me about how do I model the two phase flow in flow channels of electrolyzer.

Its a water (liquid) + Oxygen (gas) mixture that is present in flow channel.

Is it possible to model the oxygen flow in the form of bubbles ? The oxygen is evolved after the electrolysis reaction of water.

Cheers.

Abhijay

3 Replies Last Post May 15, 2010, 3:20 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 15, 2010, 4:32 a.m. EDT
Hi

I had a detailed discussion in previous thread about two-phase flow modelling in PEMFC (either cell or electrolyser):

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/5357/

In summary, COMSOL is not that efficient as Fluent and Ansys CFX for two-phase modelling (they alreadu have detailed codes for this)- you need to develop your own code in PDEs for diffusion and heat transfer in two-phase using euler-euler approach.

Perhaps the upcoming version would be able to do this, but at this stage you have to do your own efforts to develop your code. You may take some help from "Multiphase Module" to learn how to make PDEs.

Regards
Naveed
Hi I had a detailed discussion in previous thread about two-phase flow modelling in PEMFC (either cell or electrolyser): http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/5357/ In summary, COMSOL is not that efficient as Fluent and Ansys CFX for two-phase modelling (they alreadu have detailed codes for this)- you need to develop your own code in PDEs for diffusion and heat transfer in two-phase using euler-euler approach. Perhaps the upcoming version would be able to do this, but at this stage you have to do your own efforts to develop your code. You may take some help from "Multiphase Module" to learn how to make PDEs. Regards Naveed

Posted: 1 decade ago May 15, 2010, 7:16 a.m. EDT
Hi Naveed,

Thank you very much for your response.

I will try to include PDE's on my own for a detailed model.

For the preliminary study, I was hoping if you have any idea about how can I model the two phase flow by tracking only the average phase concentration rather than modeling the bubbles using euler-euler appraoch.

Thank you
Hi Naveed, Thank you very much for your response. I will try to include PDE's on my own for a detailed model. For the preliminary study, I was hoping if you have any idea about how can I model the two phase flow by tracking only the average phase concentration rather than modeling the bubbles using euler-euler appraoch. Thank you

Posted: 1 decade ago May 15, 2010, 3:20 p.m. EDT
Hi Abhijay

For flow problems-you can use the built-in mixture model (multiphase module) but there is nothing for diffusion (concentration) in two-phases-for this you need to take help of PDEs.

Regards
Naveed
Hi Abhijay For flow problems-you can use the built-in mixture model (multiphase module) but there is nothing for diffusion (concentration) in two-phases-for this you need to take help of PDEs. Regards Naveed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.