Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

need help to draw a 2D model of multilayer optical gratings in COMSOL3.5a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I need to simulate a 2D model of multilayer optical gratings with different grating thickness and orientations.Can anyone help in this regard.How should i do it.I am trying to use "optics and Photonics"under RF module in COMSOL multiphysics, but couldnt find anyway to draw these gratings and simulate it.

I would appreciate if anyone can guide me.

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Jun 2, 2010, 3:08 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 2, 2010, 2:12 a.m. EDT
Hi

you have an interesting problem there, it intrests me also, but I havent had time to investigate it yet, unfortunately I do not have much more free time either just now.

In general, for the drawings, I prefere to use an external CAD, for efficiency, but the one inside COMSOL should also be able to do what you want, the only thing is the number of grating periods you should consider, and where to split them (in the middle or at an edge of the grating periode.

I beleive the Floquet periodic conditions could be used to make the grating infinite, but for one or several periodes, but it must be tested and validated, often the grating periode is not very different from the wavelength so this means a very detailed meshing.

Certainly I would have started in 2D

Hope this hels on the way
Pls keep us informed
Ivar
Hi you have an interesting problem there, it intrests me also, but I havent had time to investigate it yet, unfortunately I do not have much more free time either just now. In general, for the drawings, I prefere to use an external CAD, for efficiency, but the one inside COMSOL should also be able to do what you want, the only thing is the number of grating periods you should consider, and where to split them (in the middle or at an edge of the grating periode. I beleive the Floquet periodic conditions could be used to make the grating infinite, but for one or several periodes, but it must be tested and validated, often the grating periode is not very different from the wavelength so this means a very detailed meshing. Certainly I would have started in 2D Hope this hels on the way Pls keep us informed Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 2, 2010, 3:08 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the information.

I am also trying to use external CAD for the design and then embedd into COMSOL for simulation.I have my drawing layout in Cadence,but i dont know how i can embedd it into COMSOL. My layout file is generated in "gds" format and i am not sure how it can be included in COMSOL. If you know about this please let me know.

Also how can i design it in COMSOL, although i have information regarding the grating period and number of gratings,but still not sure how i can stack these different layers.
Thanks for the information. I am also trying to use external CAD for the design and then embedd into COMSOL for simulation.I have my drawing layout in Cadence,but i dont know how i can embedd it into COMSOL. My layout file is generated in "gds" format and i am not sure how it can be included in COMSOL. If you know about this please let me know. Also how can i design it in COMSOL, although i have information regarding the grating period and number of gratings,but still not sure how i can stack these different layers.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.